TheNovice

Fear and nihilism surrounding career/work

4 posts in this topic

I have created a very cynical view/ relation of Work and career. It started when I was very young and I noticed how toxic and crushing of a relationship most people have to it and how the way most people live is circular and soulless, maybe there is more to it that I am not aware of. I became quite nihilistic. I usually get a sense of dread when I think about it. It has led me to a LOT of inaction and apathy. 

I think some of the insight I got is accurate, but I guess it was too much for me at the time, I became a victim, depressed and stuck, instead of taking action and facing these problems. 

I don't think that I still think about life in that egoic flavor of nihilism and hopelessness that much these days, but the way it made me feel around this topic is still lurking in the background and creating inaction.

I'm doing the LP course but I can't really get clear on my values, I guess I need more experience. I'm in my early 20s

I don't know how to unravel this, I guess I should do shadow work-type stuff? I'm basically handicapped until I fix this lol.

What do you think?

I felt nihilistic in my work in the past. Why was that? Because I hated the work I did. :D It was completely meaningless to me, the only benefit it had was being able to pay the bills.  

Now that I make a living doing what I love, you don't hear me complain about nihilism in my work, even though it is still completely meaningless. It just brings me (and hopefully others) joy. 

Remember that any form of nihilism is just being bummed out about things not having meaning, which is a negative meaning assigned to something that inherently doesn't have meaning. 9_9

On 17-7-2022 at 7:48 PM, TheNovice said:

I'm doing the LP course but I can't really get clear on my values, I guess I need more experience. I'm in my early 20s

Yeah, that's probably a good idea! And maybe just go with the values that come to you easily while doing the exercises. Your values will change over time, they aren't set in stone once you did the exercises.

Edited by Rob06

On 7/17/2022 at 7:48 PM, TheNovice said:

I don't know how to unravel this, I guess I should do shadow work-type stuff? I'm basically handicapped until I fix this lol.

What do you think?

As for the values, that is probably one of the most important things you will do in your life. You are basically choosing what kind of a person you want to become and how you want to show up in the world, so take that seriously, but also don't overthink it, just choose what feels most alive for you, you can always make adjustments later.

Once that sheet is on your wall and you really work with it, you will notice over weeks and months how you're literally getting molded into the kind of person you had set out to become. Really amazing stuff.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

On 7/17/2022 at 7:48 PM, TheNovice said:

I have created a very cynical view/ relation of Work and career. It started when I was very young and I noticed how toxic and crushing of a relationship most people have to it and how the way most people live is circular and soulless, maybe there is more to it that I am not aware of. I became quite nihilistic. I usually get a sense of dread when I think about it. It has led me to a LOT of inaction and apathy. 

I think some of the insight I got is accurate, but I guess it was too much for me at the time, I became a victim, depressed and stuck, instead of taking action and facing these problems. 

I don't think that I still think about life in that egoic flavor of nihilism and hopelessness that much these days, but the way it made me feel around this topic is still lurking in the background and creating inaction.

What do you think?

In my life the majority of people I know are happy because of their career/work. Just offering another perspective. Hopefully helpful.