Scholar

First James Webb Telescope Image released

29 posts in this topic

That's a beautiful one.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Dryas said:

I mean I’m sure it’s amazing but I also feel like I’ve seen many photos like these before lol. Like should we really be spending millions on something like this? Idk

Hope to see some cooler stuff though

No, the purpose of the telescope isn't to take cool pictures for the public. The purpose is to do scientific work with it, stuff which the public wouldn't understand and would think is boring.

@Dryas It's a longterm investment. It simply allows us to collect more data, which might not seem interesting at first because it doesn't create any instantaneous results in our everyday life, but it gives scientists a better perspective on the cosmos. It's somewhat significant in a broader historical sense.

Here is a short video explaining some of the things scientists are trying to do with it:

beep boop

This is incredible. Love the star shapes.

I want these kind of light stars on my lens got dammit. My Lens doesn't have anything close to this beauty and brilliance. I want a James Webb for Christmas:D.

Edited by Phil777
Typoooojajajajaja

On 13/07/2022 at 10:33 AM, Egodeathrow said:

I love to ignorantly skygaze, And look through my amateur telescope

Exactly! I can gaze at the night sky for 3 hours not even knowing what I'm looking at most of the time with my super lame telescope and my trusted sky navigation app :D

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 13/07/2022 at 0:42 AM, Dryas said:

I mean I’m sure it’s amazing but I also feel like I’ve seen many photos like these before lol. Like should we really be spending millions on something like this? Idk

Hope to see some cooler stuff though

It's all about advancing the knowledge of the deepest parts of space.

I mean, eventually, you'll see more cool pictures of planets and their moons (if that what you mean by "cooler stuff") but at this stage, they have already gathered so much information on those, that it will be mostly used to identify stuff in the deepest space. 

Also, bear in mind that the telescope is used mainly by academics for PhD work, thesis, university type of content etc. I was told by Greenwich astronomist that if you want to use Hubble, you have to submit a proposal and then wait 6 months + for your turn (if you get approved) ...so with JW, it might be up to a year and there will be a committee deciding who gets t use the new toy so if they don't like the proposal, they will just reject it. 

But since NASA is publically funded they need to show some nice photos eventually so give them time :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Anything short of seeing two aliens banging on some alien beach is not worth the investment :P

Wonderful photos! Thanks!

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.