DefinitelyNotARobot

Can we evolve too quickly?

22 posts in this topic

@Breakingthewall I do acknowledge that possibility. I don't think that you can draw a 1:1 correlation between individuals and the collective. However I also have to acknowledge that there are similarities between individual egos and the collective ego, even if the collective ego is a much more complex and nuanced than any individual ego could ever be (from a relative standpoint). I visualize it as some form of fractal where each individual is a reflection of the broader structure of humanity (and humanity is a reflection of the broader structure of this universe). At least that's how I see it, so I think there can be some value in drawing similarities between individual people and collectives, even if it's a limited approach. So I do believe that it's reasonable to assume that if an individual can make an irreversible mistake, that the same COULD apply to humanity.

@mr_engineer I agree, worry is unproductive in the long run. And yes I've had experiences in the past where my recklessness ended up back firing on me, though I have to admit that it was a net positive in the long run because it taught me important lessons.

I should probably do a little research on times in history where progress became dangerous. One thing that comes to my mind is how some scientists, when we built the first nuclear bombs, hypothesized that a nuclear explosion might ignite our atmosphere effectively destroying all life on earth (I got this from a documentary I watched, so take this with a grain of salt). We know retrospectively that that's not true, however put yourself in the shoes of the people who did the first nuclear tests. They didn't know that this wasn't true. They did think that the chances of this happening were low, but still. From their perspective they could've literally ended all of humanity right then and there. They still fucking did it. From their pov it was nothing but a gamble. That's the kind of reckless behavior I'm talking about. But that's just a hypothetical. There are probably better examples sprinkled throughout history.

beep boop