Yarco

Canada's largest mobile+internet provider experiencing a nationwide outage

5 posts in this topic

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-cell-mobile-wifi-1.6514373

In US terms, this would be like AT&T and Comcast both going down simultaneously nationwide.

Think about how much stuff you rely on the internet for... your job or business, your entertainment, your finances...

- Any job in Canada that requires the internet and has Roger's as their ISP is offline right now... offices, working from home, all of it... a good chunk of our economy is shut down until this is fixed

- Phones not working even for 911

- Bank transfers, debit and credit transactions not working in most locations (cash only)

Cyberattack, or just someone in IT went on summer vacation? Only time will tell 9_9

@Yarco

6 minutes ago, Yarco said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-cell-mobile-wifi-1.6514373

In US terms, this would be like AT&T and Comcast both going down simultaneously nationwide.

Think about how much stuff you rely on the internet for... your job or business, your entertainment, your finances...

- Any job in Canada that requires the internet and has Roger's as their ISP is offline right now... offices, working from home, all of it... a good chunk of our economy is shut down until this is fixed

- Phones not working even for 911

- Bank transfers, debit and credit transactions not working in most locations (cash only)

Cyberattack, or just someone in IT went on summer vacation? Only time will tell 9_9

Jesus, I hope you are alright there.

Hasn't the government planned back ups in case stuff like this happens?

9 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Yarco

Jesus, I hope you are alright there.

Hasn't the government planned back ups in case stuff like this happens?

The only way I could see the government helping is if they made internet and mobile phones public utilities, which isn't going to happen.

Hopefully this will generate some outrage and make them break up the tech monopolies in Canada though. There are really only 2 big internet companies and then a bunch of smaller subcontractors that use their infrastructure.

It has revealed a pretty big flaw that all of the debit card transactions in the country go through a single internet provider. Hopefully that gets fixed and the risk spread out a bit lol.

7 pm here and still no internet here. Luckily I'm with one of the smaller phone carriers but you can tell that all the networks that are still up are straining.

Lessons:

1. Always keep at least a couple hundred dollars cash on you or at home. (A few times a year I get to the cashier after 30 minutes of grocery shopping to find out their debit is down, comes in handy more often then you'd think

2. Always keep your car's gas tank at least half full. Things like this can cause panic buying, long lines, or stations just deciding to close for the day.

I just paid cash to fill up my car and grab some slurpees, drove 100 km to the beach and visited my parents. Paid for a slurpee for the girl behind me who had already started drinking before realizing they only took cash haha.

Pretty chill day while society is falling apart around me ? I would much rather an internet outage than a power outage and losing AC in the middle of summer. Had that happen in 2003.

Just experienced it, i went to the groceries store and my debit card didnt work, i had to leave and come back to get cash. Life is so hard. ^_^ Crypto application? Maybe if we where decentralized some miner in china could of approved my transition. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

The level of incompetence in third-world countries is just so much worse than this. Constant power outages (of course including summer). Internet companies just generally being bad, etc.