tyy

Tyy's Journal Of Coldness

48 posts in this topic

Hi everybody! I am starting this journal to document my cold shower challenge. I recently read about some positives of using cold water and feel it's a good starting point as a challenge. I have set a goal of 30 days worth of cold showers. I have been trying to think of a way to progress along this challenge, like potentially adding time for each shower. The idea I am throwing around in my head is adding 20 seconds each day. I am open to suggestions if anybody has any! Hopefully as I update this journal I'll have additional news / progressions to integrate in along with the showers.

I did a test run for my shower yesterday and it was breath-taking (pun intended). Some days I will be showering bright and early before work while others will be later in the evening after the gym.

Excited to report back!

Tip:  Have the water running on luke warm first and gradually turn to cold while clenching your teeth and beasting it.   This way you are not hopping in and out of it at first.

Also good luck man.

Day 1 - 3:05 

What a rush! I have had cold water on my mind all day, waiting to get this challenge started. Today I worked in the day time then headed to the gym for a shoulder work out. First thing I want to note is how good I feel post-shower. My muscles feel relaxed and I am now sitting here feeling refreshed. When I got out of the shower I could see my veins in my back and shoulders more (looking blue) as if I was witnessing the blood moving better! 

Regarding the timing, I thought I would see my starting point of how long it takes me to wash my hair & body with some soaking afterwards. Now I will add time to that baseline number each shower. Once again, any advice or challenge suggestions are welcome. 

@Evilwave Heddy I took your advice and it was much easier to stay put under the water. Thanks again. 

I hope this thread will evolve into more than cold showers, I just have to figure out what other self developments to add along the way. 

@tyy Glad it helped.  I actually took a cold shower this morning for the first time in a few months.  God, I missed that refreshing feeling afterwards and that feeling of achievement.  It's like you're immune to any coldness afterwards.

Day 2 - 3:30

Today was a little more difficult. It's been cold/rainy all day and coming in from the gym in that weather wasn't serving the cold shower up pleasantly! 

Regardless, the body feels great again post shower. I had a back workout tonight which ended my split of 4 days on at the gym, so it's all positive for my muscles. I up'ed the time to 3:30 and it was a little rougher. I don't really know how many benefits there are the longer I go, but I'll continue to raise the time. 

It really is a confidence booster throughout the day. Nothing is quite as cold as those few minutes, which gives me an edge up here in Canadian weather (even though it's warm for winter currently). 

Thanks for reading! 

Day 3 - 3:45

A warm shower would of been my first move following today's work day, after spending some time out in the cold. Regardless, the challenge continues and I did not allow myself any warm water! It was tough before getting in, but once I completed it the regular positive feelings were present again. 

Speaking of positives, I spent my night off from the gym attending a workshop (more like a group discussion) all about co-dependency. It was my first workshop and I think I'll do them every Wednesday. 

Since I'll be reporting in this forum everyday I think I may start listing my gratitude thoughts in here, rather than having a separate document for that purpose. 

Gratitude: I am thankful my friends introduced me to that discussion group. I am thankful my two cats are healthy. I am thankful I am in good health and did not pick up the bug going around. 

Day 4 - 4:00

So far this week I have been feeling less tired than I normally would. I am wondering how much of that feeling is this cold shower challenge. Could it literally be the cold water or maybe the high of trying something new and staying on top of it? Either way, I have been having a positive week. I up'ed the time again and by the end of it I was not too phased by the temperature. 

Gratitude: I am thankful I got to spend time with my mom and sister tonight. I am thankful I sleep like a rock at night. I am thankful I started this challenge. 

Day 5 - 4:15

Burrrrr. Hit the gym tonight after work and then came home and did some shovelling; so I would of normally cranked the heat in there and drained all remaining energy. Not tonight though, extended the cold shower and got an energy boost. It is getting easier after the first few seconds more and more now. I am excited to have an early shower this weekend and see how alive I feel throughout the day! 

Gratitude: I am thankful for the nice dinner my girlfriend prepared. I am thankful to have a solution planned to my truck issue. I am thankful I found articles by Ajahn Chah earlier.

8 hours ago, tyy said:

Not tonight though, extended the cold shower and got an energy boost. It is getting easier after the first few seconds more and more now. I am excited to have an early shower this weekend and see how alive I feel throughout the day! 

Yeah, those first few seconds are the worst.  After they pass and your body gets used to the cold water it's not too bad.  Good shit though...just another 25 cold showers.  I'm with yah on this too. 

I've been having mine usually at 8 or 9am but by 1 or 2 pm that feel good feeling wears off a bit.

So far this week I have been feeling less tired than I normally would.

I have to agree with this also.

@Evilwave Heddy Nice man good to hear you're doing them too. They get a nice momentum built up behind you to use in every other aspect of the day. 

Day 6 - 4:30

I was actually relying on this shower tonight. I did a leg workout earlier in the afternoon and felt seriously drained. These showers provide the spark that produces a second wind! Now I feel awake again. 

Gratitude: I am thankful my dad helped me with my truck today. I am thankful I woke up feeling healthy. I am thankful I got time with my nephew today. 

Day 7 - 4:45

I gotta say today at the four minute mark I was not sweating about the time being extended. It is amazing how you can adapt. Water is at its coldest, I realize I haven't provided any proof of that, just thought I would note it! 

Gratitude: I am thankful for my day with my girlfriend. I am thankful for a new album I bought. I am thankful for chocolate cheerios. 

Day 8 - 5:00

I'm feeling cold blooded nowadays :P 

I hit the gym tonight and had a small shoulder workout; I'll be taking a day off of the gym for Valentine's Day tomorrow. Tonight's shower had the 5 minute milestone in store. Overall it felt a bit long but I can just stand there in cold water fairly comfortably now. I was definitely frigid after. 

Gratitude: I am thankful for my dinner tonight. I am thankful for this forum. I am thankful to have both my parents still. 

I had a hot shower this morning.  It was amazing. lol

I've been reading this book about how we hypnotize ourselves. I found that the benefits of a cold shower can be similarly gained from a hot shower.  In fact, a hot shower was giving me these benefits but I just didn't realize it/believe it.  

The book is called Psycho-Cybernetics. I'd suggest giving it a read. I assume you've heard of it or even have it.  Either way...that cold shower you're taking every day is indeed benefitting you.  

@Evilwave Heddy Oh I can only imagine, the slightly warm water at the beginning of mine (I should just call it cold too lol) is always a tease. That's interesting, I haven't read about that topic, thanks!

Day 9 - 5:15

This 5 minute plus business might get old quick haha. I always finish everything I have to do in the shower in under 5 so it leaves me standing there getting blue. Oh well, still feel great after these showers so I'll keep adding time for now!

I used to be very drowsy a lot of the day; the week before I started these was one of the worst. Since I have been doing these showers I feel I am not having nearly as many drowsy spells. 

Lastly, I am thinking my next challenge I'll start in here will have to do with building a consistent meditation habit. I'll work it into my thread like I did my gratitude thoughts. 

Gratitude: I am thankful for having the mother I do. I am thankful for the scenic drive I took earlier. I am thankful the weather is warming up. 

Day 10 - 5:30

All showered with no place to go; my discussion group plans were cancelled this evening. Tonight's shower was one of the rougher ones, I wasn't looking forward to it on this occasion. On to the next! 

Gratitude: I am thankful today was a good day. I am thankful I have my vision. I am thankful I get some extra sleep tonight. 

Day 11 - 5:45

It was a bit easier to get into the shower tonight after my workout. I can really see me continuing these showers long term, but not for these extended times. 

Another thing I will have to try during these 30 days is an early early morning shower. I have been having most of these during the afternoon and night time; I feel I could experience more benefits from doing one in the morning. 

There's not a whole lot to document daily about my cold showers, but writing in here keeps everything consistent. Also, I have never really posted on forums so this has been a good starting point. 

Gratitude: I am thankful for this life I have. I am thankful for my group of friends. I am thankful my two cats share a bond together.