David

Reiki

25 posts in this topic

What are some of your experiences with Reiki? Is it really possible to heal people with it? I believe that this is a real possibility but question the authenticity of Reiki. I have a well accredited school for it near me and love the idea of helping people if it's a for real thing. My motivation is strictly helping people. I don't want make any money for this and the fact that people charge for Reiki healing is probably the biggest reason I fear it's a hoax of some kind. Any insights are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edited by David

I've always feared that Reiki is a scam, like fortune tellers.

But I remain to have my mind open.

Endless nuance

@David @Simon Zackrisson I am taking Reiki sessions. I think I have 4 or 5 behind me and the next one is in may. Still, I do not know if it actually helps or if it's just mighty placebo, but the results are  a m a z i n g !

I am a completely new person. I have now much more motivation and positivity inside of me, also I have so much more energy. I think she literally opened my energy channels and all the chakras.

After my first sessions, I always would feel tired and exhausted, because my chakras were still closed and it's a though process to open them. Now, since my chakras are supposedly open, I feel hyper energized after the session. It's like I overflow with energy and I go completely ape shit  for hours:D

Would definitly recommend to try it out. It's amazing. But is it real or just placebo? I don't know. She says it's real, and some guy on this forum also told me it's real. 

@The Alchemist You shouldn't think that if it actually helps or if it's placebo. What you described sounds a bit like effects which you could get for example from guided meditation sessions. The effects are real and could be really helpful, as long as kept in mind that those are really the effects of you allowing yourself to feel those things (energy, positivity, motivation) and not hoped that yeah, it will cure my cancer if I just believe enough. Although there are those who claim that modifying physical objects is possible through meditation, always of course they would actually demonstrate that "later, when it resonates", I find that one a claim not to be believed until proven.

@The Alchemist

Thank you for sharing your experiences. That sounds great. 

Have you had a chance to practice some of the techniques on anyone yet? 

3 minutes ago, David said:

@The Alchemist

Thank you for sharing your experiences. That sounds great. 

Have you had a chance to practice some of the techniques on anyone yet? 

I am not a qualified healer or "Reiki guy" whatever they may be called. In fact I have no idea how to do energy work, so I better stay away from practicing it on other people :D

I made this post in another form but I didn't get any replies so I'm trying it again. maybe it will make sense here. 

I been on this journey or awareness thing . it has been exciting and scary at the same time. it started about 7 years ago  when i attended a tantra yoga class.  During the class one of the exercises was a MIRRORING EXERCISE . i was pair up with another lady student.The instructor explain what we were to do.   I'm not sure how to explain what happen next. when we put our hands up with about 1 inch between them we felt this undeniable electric current. we both were looking at it and wondering what it was. my partner was saying " this is interesting" she said that three times. I drop my hands and said. "that's just static electricity " I knew it wasn't but I was scared or a ass. We then put our hands back up and the electricity came right back.  The instructor them called  the class to sit down  so we didn't get much time to play with it. I did go up and ask the instructor about what we felt and she  just said it was our life force energy. I didn't think she knew what I was talking about because she said it so quickly. So I asked her again. she looked up at me and said" YES that's your life force energy' I then went and sat down. She then talk about it but I didn't understand any of it. I was kind of embarrassed. I wish I asked more questions back then.. So I guess my question is  What the ####  happen. thanks for being here.

Edit

@johnde an amazing experience. Be thankful! I wish I could tell what was going on or how to duplicate it. You might try reading some of Mantak Chia's books, In particularly, "awaken healing energy through the tao". 

Thank you for sharing this. 

Edited by David

thank you for replying and a direction to go. ill stay in contact.

I'd be careful with such things as Reiki, because it is just affecting one part of you, which is your energies. Without a wholesome life, without the right balance, such practice can do more harm than good. Especially considering that for one genuine teacher there are probably 99 swindlers on the marketplace.

44 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I'd be careful with such things as Reiki, because it is just affecting one part of you, which is your energies. Without a wholesome life, without the right balance, such practice can do more harm than good. Especially considering that for one genuine teacher there are probably 99 swindlers on the marketplace.

What harm? Open your energy channels should only do benefits as far as I'm concerned

1 minute ago, The Alchemist said:

What harm? Open your energy channels should only do benefits as far as I'm concerned

When you have the spiritual maturity, yes. When your life is in balance, when you are rooted in reality, yes. When you have a genuine teacher, who is able to look at the whole picture, yes. Otherwise things can get out of order very quickly. If your whole system isn't ready for the change in energies it can cause a lot of suffering to you and others around you.

2 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

When you have the spiritual maturity, yes. When your life is in balance, when you are rooted in reality, yes. When you have a genuine teacher, who is able to look at the whole picture, yes. Otherwise things can get out of order very quickly. If your whole system isn't ready for the change in energies it can cause a lot of suffering to you and others around you.

Okay, this may be true. I need to watch out on myself how Reiki affected me in a negative way. I let the teacher open my energies, but my life is no way in order. An yes I still suffer, althought I feel better. I will watch out for it. Thank you

@Pallero I don't know, try to make a web search for "positivity/energy/motivation guided meditation [your location/online]". Or guide your own meditations. Or go to reiki, as I said, just be aware of what you expect from it and what you can get from it.

Edited by ttm

Since I have been a Usui Reiki Master since 2008, I will answer from my point of view & experience.   If you feel drawn towards something you should explore it, but at the same time explore the things within you that object to the fact that money is not inherently 'evil' or 'bad' in exchange for a service or someone's time.   While over the years I have offered free energy channel/healings, I also charged since it takes my time and effort for this.  I see no reason why people cannot be paid for their time and efforts.  I think that those who struggle most in life have many predisposed notions of right and wrong and what must be in order for them to help someone.  If you by chance want to offer your time and efforts in channeling Reiki to other for free, that is your decision and right.  However, please do not knock others who might charge for their time/efforts because they need to pay bills in exchange for time and energy expended in life.  

Being a Usui style practitioner, I agree with Hawayo Takata (who brought Usui Reiki practice to America) in that some form of exchange should take place for people to value what they are getting in exchange.  When you do a lot of research on how people react or treat things that they get for free, often people place little meaning on free things because they gave nothing of themselves in return for it.  Granted, sometimes some people might appreciate free things, but the masses usually just expect to get something for nothing- which is possibly part of the cause of their illness/imbalance in the first place where Reiki might actually assist them.  

4 hours ago, Vamptacular said:

Since I have been a Usui Reiki Master since 2008, I will answer from my point of view & experience.   If you feel drawn towards something you should explore it, but at the same time explore the things within you that object to the fact that money is not inherently 'evil' or 'bad' in exchange for a service or someone's time.   While over the years I have offered free energy channel/healings, I also charged since it takes my time and effort for this.  I see no reason why people cannot be paid for their time and efforts.  I think that those who struggle most in life have many predisposed notions of right and wrong and what must be in order for them to help someone.  If you by chance want to offer your time and efforts in channeling Reiki to other for free, that is your decision and right.  However, please do not knock others who might charge for their time/efforts because they need to pay bills in exchange for time and energy expended in life.  

Being a Usui style practitioner, I agree with Hawayo Takata (who brought Usui Reiki practice to America) in that some form of exchange should take place for people to value what they are getting in exchange.  When you do a lot of research on how people react or treat things that they get for free, often people place little meaning on free things because they gave nothing of themselves in return for it.  Granted, sometimes some people might appreciate free things, but the masses usually just expect to get something for nothing- which is possibly part of the cause of their illness/imbalance in the first place where Reiki might actually assist them.  

Thank you for sharing ?

I just want to be clear I don't think just because a person charges a fee that they are dishonest. And I fully agree that people often need to make an exchange of some form to either feel worthy of receiving or to respect it. 

It is a concern that people are taking advantage of others, like a false fortune teller, because it's difficult for the average person to determine if something real is happening or if it's a placebo or just nothing at all. 

As I stated in my op I believe in this, that we are gifted with the ability to heal. I would love nothing if Reiki was the key to unlock this for me. And though I might not charge $ I would not appose a barter and feel the need to volunteer in one form or another my time in this way. 

Thank you again! 

An insight about placebo that may break some illusions.... (hope is not off topic)

[Please note that I speak in general and about a typical western scientific-minded mindset example, which was triggered by content in this post but is not a personal answer to any coment per se, so no reason to feel pointed, judged or take offense]

To my eyes it is kind of funny how many times I've seen and heard of people that really got really significant results from various and varied alternative medicine therapies and practices. Nonetheless, the mind always needs to consider that perhaps it was the placebo effect. Knowing myself that real uncertainty is a great value (a result of personal development I would say), I think this is different...

I mean, e.g., if you drunk beer regularly, then you drink non-alcoholic beer (thinking it was alcoholic) you may feel tipsy or get drunk due to the placebo effect, as your subconscious mind completely believes that you're drinking alcohol and you experienced its taste, feeling and effects several times before.

However, the motive for that you doubt about the results of a non-understood and previously unexperienced healing method, as I see it, is because your past experience conditioning that conforms your picture of reality pushes you to think that most likely it must be placebo, since otherwise the believe system that shapes your model of the reality could be threatened.

Now, if the placebo effect is based on a set of present subconscious beliefs (more powerful than those you are conscious of), how it can be that a placebo effect worked in favour of a reason you rather not believe in the first place?

7 hours ago, Garay said:

To my eyes it is kind of funny how many times I've seen and heard of people that really got really significant results from various and varied alternative medicine therapies and practices.

Yeah, that's why it would be so important to teach people science. It's unbelievably easy to fool a human brain to believe just about anything and the biases are huge. What do you think is the reason why those significant results vanish when studied scientifically?

8 hours ago, ttm said:

Yeah, that's why it would be so important to teach people science. It's unbelievably easy to fool a human brain to believe just about anything and the biases are huge. What do you think is the reason why those significant results vanish when studied scientifically?

So what if it's placebo? If it works it works, and even if it's a placebo the results probably outweigh the Reiki session price tenfold. If you want to hinder people from getting help from it, what will help them and how? Science? There is more to life than science, and sience is a delusion initself