digitalkaine

Competition as motivation

6 posts in this topic

How do you all feel about using competition as motivation?
I used to be really competitive growing up and then after discovering actualized I actually started to care less and less about it because it kind of felt really petty to me to compete with others as oppose to building with them. I dont like comparing myself to others anymore on top of that but while I have reached a maintainable state of peace within myself I am and always have been struggling financially. Before I would become extremely depressed just constantly being broke but I dont really feel that way anymore when I start to get low on money. The only thing is I need money but money does not motivate me to do what I love or do anything really. 

Making really good art motivates me but its also my job. I make art but I never wanted it to be dependent on what anyone else was around me was doing. I was listening to a self help guy on youtube and he started talking about competing in your field but in a healthy way and it kind of spoke to me but I dont want it to come from a petty place or have it bite me in the ass if that makes sense but it almost feels as if that would be a natural feeling for me to have. Like the thought of me trying to be the best artist in my field really gets me going in a way. I'm not interested in putting anyone down I am interested in being better than my peers when it comes to like making art and profiting off of it and I feel like I need it but I dont want to be blind to what might happen if I chose to do that. 

He also talked about competing with people on your level and not people who are on a whole other level for you and kind of leveling up and up from there. I just feel as if that would motivate me and it feels completely natural but something about also seems as if it can become toxic as well which I would want to be super mindful of. Maybe I'm missing something here and there is something psychologically or spiritually wrong that is making me feel as if it was I need at the moment and there are better options but I cant lie when I say that the idea of looking my art and business as a competition and trying to out do other artists kind of gives me alot of motivation and I trust myself to do it in a healthy way. I also trust the idea of me being able to healthily compare myself to others when maybe I am in that mindset of me competing and I dont see the results I'm looking for and zoning in on those things to continue to level up my craft and business. 

To be honest most of the happiest times in my life when I was a kid was when I was competing and won something, its just as I became older I began to hate competing, alot of it was because it was forced on me as a child and just because I grew to think that competing is just kind of a lame thing that humans do to feel good about themselves. I think this would be a good topic for a video and I'm interested to hear anyone elses thoughts about it. Especially where competition might fit in the spiritual world because alot of spirituality feels kind of the opposite of what competition entails lol. 

Go outcompete everyone and become the best and then you will see how silly it is and still have plenty time to focus on your dharma. I had to burn through that shit aswell.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

9 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Go outcompete everyone and become the best and then you will see how silly it is and still have plenty time to focus on your dharma. I had to burn through that shit aswell.

Thanks I already figured that. I guess I'm just looking for a quick fix boost to make money as fast as possible. I have everything I need to live on my own with my art but its hard to find the motivation I need sometimes to get stuff out. Its sad I have to rely so heavily on my artform as a means to live but I know thats something I have to fix within myself. It doesnt have to be as bad as I make it seem I just cant imagine working another 9-5.

It depends what works for you i used it before in sports and really helps but its toxic and burns you out now i pace myself  and work on me and gradually make it harder and harder..

Feels good to know im the driver not others in what im doing...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

The life purpose course has a great video on this.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 7/7/2022 at 11:04 AM, Thought Art said:

The life purpose course has a great video on this.

I've been watching actualized since like 2014 I need to buy it in all honesty