MrTouchdown

If you accept change you must accept the past

7 posts in this topic

To change is to become different in some way.

The product of change is the past.

It is impossible to talk about how things are changing without referring to the way things were (the past). For example if you say reality is changing then you are conceding that things were different than the way they are now which requires a past.

Do you find a fault in my proposal?
Does anyone deny change? 

@MrTouchdown

Yes, and I'd like to tweak that, just by adding complexity.

Change as a deliberate phenomena is enabled by the detachment from past, i.e. happening though acceptance, not denial and suppression, as it will keep haunting you in some way, holding you back, or reinforcing what's undesired and needing to change away from. 

Significant or deliberate change is defined by a desire to create change, which is created by past experiences. 

Change in a direction, takes two points in space to define that direction, "now" being one point, the other point needing to exist in the past, projecting a direction of movement defining change. 

With a single point in space, there is a lack of definition of direction, and change is rather more or less variation happening. 

That doesn't mean that variation based on e.g. positive mindset won't result in signitifant positive change over more/less time.

Law of attraction, butterfly effect, not necessarily by conscious influence, but creates change nonetheless.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

I mean, you can deny the past despite a change if you are crazy enough. I even think it's quite common for people to go through changes, and deny their past or even forget or surpress  their past. So it may depend on wheter it is a superficial lifestyle change, or deeper a change through some sort of undeniable awakening.

Also, if you have accepted a change, you are then already past the point of any past, no matter what stance you take to it from your changed view. So it sounds a little backwards the way you have put it, even if you are quite right.

I would rather flipp your statement to this: "Once you have truly accepted your past, change is inevitable." In this way, you got a prospective statement that are to be fulfilled, rather than a reflective statment that has already past you by. 

Edited by ZzzleepingBear

@MrTouchdown

If denying past in your post means denying that it happened, then what you said doesn't prove it in any direction, because past is just good concept that you could think in order to improve your life and make it to something you could accept more easily therefore be more happy. If you mean accepting past in relative level as accepting things that seemingly happened to you then it doesn't really matter if you accept them in percpecive of changing behaviour. In perspective of curing trauma accepting past is must.

Who told you that "others" are real?

11 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@MrTouchdown

If denying past in your post means denying that it happened, then what you said doesn't prove it in any direction, because past is just good concept that you could think in order to improve your life and make it to something you could accept more easily therefore be more happy. If you mean accepting past in relative level as accepting things that seemingly happened to you then it doesn't really matter if you accept them in percpecive of changing behaviour. In perspective of curing trauma accepting past is must.

More past is being made now. The question is how big is the past. 
What is your perspective on change? Is there change in your view?

@MrTouchdown

Past is made now is beautiful perspective, thanks from that. Whenever there is change or not depends on the perspective you take. Theoretically there is only now which is snapshot of the moment and there's nothing else so there's no change. In the other hand that theoretical perspective doesn't exist really theoretically nor in practice so it doesn't matter too much. In practice you can't point towards now, because pointing towards it requires "different now" and after that the now is just a thought inside "new now".

Who told you that "others" are real?

2 hours ago, ZzzleepingBear said:

I would rather flipp your statement to this: "Once you have truly accepted your past, change is inevitable." In this way, you got a prospective statement that are to be fulfilled, rather than a reflective statment that has already past you by.

Exactly. Past, imagined as it is, is a factor of understanding.