Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
no_name

Does vomiting mess up your digestive system?

6 posts in this topic

Is induced vomiting going to mess up your digestive system? Some spiritual practices involve you drinking a substance that induces vomiting. I think it is very dangerous and unhealthy for your body/can mess up your system for a long time after, especially when done on a weekly/by-weekly basis.

Yes, it might damage your teeth and if you do it too often potentially ulcerate your oral mucosa, impact your oral microbiome and have a negative impact on the mucosa of the oesophagus (google Barret's oesophagus). There is a reason why GERD is a risk factor for oesophageal cancer. 

I'd probably be careful with anything that forces you to vomit too often. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

12 hours ago, no_name said:

Some spiritual practices involve you drinking a substance that induces vomiting

What spiritual practice is that?

The only thing that comes to mind for me is people purging on psychedelics. But most people are not taking psychedelics on a regular basis, nor do they necessarily purge every time.

I've started similar thread on reddit. The practice called Kunjal Kriya. You drink 3l of salty water (salt prevents acid secretion, so there should be no damage to teeth in theory). But unfortunately I've stopped doing this practice because I'm not able to vomit out all water and it goes down the intestine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/yoga/comments/vapmpi/cant_vomit_out_all_water_kunjal_kriya/

3 hours ago, EugeneTheSage said:

I've started similar thread on reddit. The practice called Kunjal Kriya. You drink 3l of salty water (salt prevents acid secretion, so there should be no damage to teeth in theory). But unfortunately I've stopped doing this practice because I'm not able to vomit out all water and it goes down the intestine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/yoga/comments/vapmpi/cant_vomit_out_all_water_kunjal_kriya/

You can die doing that. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke