Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meliodas

My addictions and how do I deal with them??

4 posts in this topic

So i recently started working on my addictions , i have many but few are prominent. These are :-

1) Listening to music on youtube.

2)Reading and watching too much spiritual content.

3) playing video games .

due to these addictions ,  I could seriously get no work done . So I watched Leo's  Video on overcoming addiction and applied the technique , it was emotionally difficult and after a few hours  i realized that was not doing anything because i didn't know what to do , so i spent time in planning and forming goals etc. I also planned to decide what to do next day every night before going to sleep , which i think will really help long term (although i allow certain degree of freedom). 

But right now because of years of addictive behavior , I am not able to put in more than 1 hr on work at a time , and after a certain time it becomes really emotionally frustrating to work more than 3 hrs . 

So here's the plan , i am planning on being consistent with my work rather than increasing the time I work , which i think will increase with due practice and consistency of a sustained period. Sort of Like in the gym , we do a weight until we become comfortable with it, then increase it .

So i want to ask is this strategy good ?? and are there any suggestions you would like to give?

18 hours ago, Meliodas said:

So i recently started working on my addictions , i have many but few are prominent. These are :-

3) playing video games .

due to these addictions ,  I could seriously get no work done . So I watched Leo's  Video on overcoming addiction and applied the technique , it was emotionally difficult and after a few hours  i realized that was not doing anything because i didn't know what to do , so i spent time in planning and forming goals etc. I also planned to decide what to do next day every night before going to sleep , which i think will really help long term (although i allow certain degree of freedom). 

But right now because of years of addictive behavior , I am not able to put in more than 1 hr on work at a time , and after a certain time it becomes really emotionally frustrating to work more than 3 hrs . 

So here's the plan , i am planning on being consistent with my work rather than increasing the time I work , which i think will increase with due practice and consistency of a sustained period. Sort of Like in the gym , we do a weight until we become comfortable with it, then increase it .

So i want to ask is this strategy good ?? and are there any suggestions you would like to give?

Well the theory of it is as follows. "Addictions" are just a particular experience that your mind has associated with pleasure and thus seeks out. There is nothing about these experiences that is inherently pleasurable and nothing about work that is inherently unpleasurable, its all about the associations that your mind has made. So you should try to dissoaciate your addictions from pleasure and associate work with pleasure. How you want to go about this is up to you, there are more radical (meditation, psychedelics, ketamine) and less radical ways (every time you indulge in your addictions write a short journal entry of how you feel about it and every time you finish a working session write down how you feel about it - this will nudge you in the right direction).

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

You gotta take it slow. If you are recovering from addiction, your attention spans and levels of energy are impacted. So in the beginning its going to be hard to train the mind to focus on anything. 

However this is just a temporary phase and soon your concentration and energy levels will go up. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

22 hours ago, Meliodas said:

3) playing video games .

Sounds like a plan!

I remeber hearing a story of a woman who disliked to run. So she started running for 1minute the first day. The second time 2min, next time 3 min. She did this so she always could see progression every day, while also getting more and more used to run for longer than last time. She ended up running in a marathon eventually. I don't know how the rest of the story goes, but I can imagine that she kept the habbit of running after that.