Vision

How to stop being a slave to your theorizing?

5 posts in this topic

A lot of times, I over-theorize and overanalyse things.

It’s not in the typical way of overanalyses like dwelling over something someone said.

For me, it’s because I always want to find the very best way to do something. I’m a “maximiser”.

My mind doesn’t accept “good enough”, it wants the very best way to do something. 

This is counterproductive because I spend too much researching the very best way to do something rather than just take action on something that’s just ‘good enough’ for my needs, and then refine along the way.

My mind tricks me into thinking “You should do some more research to find the best way/tool to do this thing/live your life before wasting your time going down the wrong path”.

Logically, I know that the only way to know if a path is wrong for me is to throw myself into it and experience it for myself. 

But my mind still tricks me into “Do more research”.

So what should I do to stop being a slave to my theorizing? 

One idea I have is:

To determine the ceiling/limit for my research, I can stop researching as soon as I find a solution to the needs I have. 

Any more research above that without any action will produce diminishing returns. 

So it’s at the point that I find the solutions to the needs I have through my research, that I flip the switch into action-taking mode.

Any other ideas/suggestions/thoughts? :) 

Be more results-oriented.

Do you actually want results? Decide yes and then get serious about getting them. This should automatically correct for over-theorizing because over-theorizing does not produce good results.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Be more results-oriented.

Do you actually want results? Decide yes and then get serious about getting them. This should automatically correct for over-theorizing because over-theorizing does not produce good results.

@Leo Gura

I intuitively know that it doesn’t bring me results.

But the pull of my mind is so fucking strong. It’s such a tricky thing. 

It’s such a strong compulsion that I wonder if I have OCD or OCD-like symptoms. 

Then again, I need to be more aware of what I am wanting results for. To know if I’m getting results or making progress, I need to have the end in mind, or the goal in mind.

Okay, I’ve just had the idea to create a worksheet. 

Going to write it here so others can use it too if they want.

(Excuse the formatting, I write in Markdown. Paste this into a word processor or app that reads Markdown to see it better.)

## Goal (The result you want): 

### What is the purpose of your analysis?

### How is your analysis serving your goal? 

### How is your analysis **derailing** your goal? 

### How are you being rigid/repetitive in the way you are approaching this?

### What is a better way of approaching this?

## Now, incorporate the [[Sedona Method]]

Sources: 

1. [Personal Development Blueprint - Sedona Method, Actualized.org](https://www.actualized.org/blueprint/sedona-method) 

> First, feel the analysis paralysis.
> Just feel it.

> Now label it “This is analysis paralysis”.

#### Step #1 Ask yourself: "Could I let this analysis paralysis go?"

#### Step #3: Ask yourself, "Would I let this analysis paralysis go?"

#### Step #4: Ask yourself, "When will I let this analysis paralysis go?"

#### Step #5: repeat steps 1-4 at least 3 or 4 times, or until you can't feel the emotion any more. 

Edited by Vision

That's a typical enneagram 5 thing.  But your solution is wrong, because you can't solve mental masturbation by mentally masturbating about it.

You need to engage the physical side of life, e.g. sports, getting more and better sleep, eating right, meditation to clear the mind, etc. Playing sports that require split-second decisiveness, such as basketball, helps a lot.  

The goal for a 5 is to quiet the mind so that you're fully immersed in your senses, rather than analysis and conceptualization.

Use the analyzing as a tool only and only when you need it to help you. You don't need much of it to produce a result. What are you trying to create/attract/get to? And what's the path of least resistance? See that over complicating things is just a delay tactic between you and the thing.

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。