Lorcan

What Should I Be Allocating Time To And For How Long?(highschool)

6 posts in this topic

If I want to make the most of the years that I am in school. What should I spend time doing, and for how long?

The principal of my school the other day said in the school assembly said that on weekdays we should be studying for 3 hours and 5 hours on weekends. (I cant remember if she included homework as part of studying or not but any how).

I find that quite absurd. I have 16 waking hours in my day in my current schedule. My day goes like

7:00am - Wake up. Eat breakfast. Pack schoolbag. Shower. 

9:00am - School Starts

3:20pm - School ends (At this point I have awake for 8 hours, half of my 16 hour allowance)

3:30-3:40 - Get home from school

3:40-5:30 relaxing and eating dinner.

Ok. Now here is where I have some free time. I cant really set anything on my schedule between the times of 3:40-5:30 because my dinner could be ready at any of the times in between 3:40-5:30 depending on what my dad is cooking. So usually I just get all or some of my homework done it that time.

Now its 5:30 and I have until 11:00.

What should I be allocating my time to?

Here is the list of activities I do and subjects I have an interest in. (I have put a star beside subjects I want to know more on but have not started researching them yet)

Cardio Exercises.

Weight Based Exercises.

Meditation.

Philosophy

History

Science

Oratory*

Physcology*

Politics*

Economics.

And the list my expand in the future.

But according to the school. I am to study all the academic subjects that I do in the space of 25 hours. 2.5 hours of study per subject a week.(There is 10 different academic classes that I have exams for. For my senior exams that number will reduce to 6-7 different subjects.)

So what am I do to do?  Should put more time into my interest or should I study subjects that I don't feel have a strong enough correlation with my life purpose?

Edited by Lorcan

If you want to study all of these and understand why each subject is in their "current state of being" you should study how cycles work. Waves, cycles, patterns are the underlying fundamentals that govern our everyday life, this extends to every concept you can think of. Concious meditation learns you that thoughts come and go in waves, when you learn to distance from those you begin to see how these arise and fit in a bigger picture. You will learn what makes those thoughts arise but also what your perspective is and how powerful it is.

Psychology is exactly the same in regards how these thought waves behave in individuals, groups or even nations. If you begin to understand the wave, you will learn how to ride it. You will know what to provide in any economic situation, emotional situation, ect. History is just looking at emotions from the past and if you look closely you can predict how those major events affect the future in everyway possible. To fully grasp what I'm talking about you should start to look at every event from a cyclical point of perspective. What are the largest cycles we observe? How do they affect psychology? How does psychology affect population growth, economics, history and eventually politics?

To get you started I want to show you this powerful simple picture of what the mind goes through emotionally in one cycle.

Investor-Cycle.png

fut1.gif

When you begin to understand the major fundamental cycles of you thoughts and peoples behaviour you can start to take advantage of that, like the last graph shows. This is all very important to big picture understanding to know why things happen and when.

EDIT: I think the post was not really appropiate, but can still help you :D

Edited by Principium Nexus

You remind me of my high school days when i was doing the same thing your doing with the school schedule. If you want me to i could help you get "right" in life.

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

@Lorcan

I am in kind of a  similar position to you. I myself am a high school student. I go to school from 8am til 2pm generally and have dinner from 6pm til 6:30pm. I also study 2 hours per day (on average). It depends on homework and the concepts we are learning. And I also want to self actualize at the same time. But how?

For me, what has worked was generating a strong, healthy and doable morning routine. For me currently, it involves two central things at the moment: Meditation and exercise. I jog every morning at 6:30 pm and then I meditate from 6:40pm til 7pm on an ideal day and I plan to expand it so it also includes visualization and maybe reading too. But I can and should only implement 1-2 habits at a time and currently I am implementing 2 (meditation and exercise. But maybe in the future it will expand.  I am planning that out.

But if I were you (which I of course am not), I would strongly recommend you also start building a morning ritual. Since school starts at 9pm as you said in your post, you are at a better advantage than me as you have more time in your morning. If you woke up at lets say 6:30pm, you would have a good 2 hours to spare. That is the fucking window of opportunity right there! You could develop an extremely powerful morning ritual and that would be very good for you. But what should it include? Well, if I was in your position, I would have it include:

Meditation (20-40 min)

Exercise (5-20 min)

Reading (20 min)

Positive affirmations (5 min)

Visualization 15 min

Healthy breakfast (whatever that is) 5-10 min

Again, this is what I would do, but you should do what is best for you. But I hope you understand the general idea that developing a strong morning ritual is the way to go for most people. It sets the foundation for the entire day and I strongly believe you can create one hell of a powerful one. Test it out and see how it works.

Good luck :D

5 minutes ago, Christian said:

@Lorcan

I am in kind of a  similar position to you. I myself am a high school student. I go to school from 8am til 2pm generally and have dinner from 6pm til 6:30pm. I also study 2 hours per day (on average). It depends on homework and the concepts we are learning. And I also want to self actualize at the same time. But how?

For me, what has worked was generating a strong, healthy and doable morning routine. For me currently, it involves two central things at the moment: Meditation and exercise. I jog every morning at 6:30 pm and then I meditate from 6:40pm til 7pm on an ideal day and I plan to expand it so it also includes visualization and maybe reading too. But I can and should only implement 1-2 habits at a time and currently I am implementing 2 (meditation and exercise. But maybe in the future it will expand.  I am planning that out.

But if I were you (which I of course am not), I would strongly recommend you also start building a morning ritual. Since school starts at 9pm as you said in your post, you are at a better advantage than me as you have more time in your morning. If you woke up at lets say 6:30pm, you would have a good 2 hours to spare. That is the fucking window of opportunity right there! You could develop an extremely powerful morning ritual and that would be very good for you. But what should it include? Well, if I was in your position, I would have it include:

Meditation (20-40 min)

Exercise (5-20 min)

Reading (20 min)

Positive affirmations (5 min)

Visualization 15 min

Healthy breakfast (whatever that is) 5-10 min

Again, this is what I would do, but you should do what is best for you. But I hope you understand the general idea that developing a strong morning ritual is the way to go for most people. It sets the foundation for the entire day and I strongly believe you can create one hell of a powerful one. Test it out and see how it works.

Good luck :D

Yes. I can admire your routine.I should start adopting something similar to your. How much sleep do you get by the way? Of recent I was thinking of a way to essentially "hack" the usage of the waking hours. 

What I've seen is that school essentially takes the hours of the day when your brain is at peak performance and by the time you get home your willpower is weaker then the willpower you had in the morning. (at least for anyway, I am not crystal clear with my life purpose yet)

What if I switched my waking hour schedule to something insane yet, possibly it could work like this for example

Going to bed at 6:00pm-6:30 and waking up at 2:00am and boomshackalacka. Suddenly I have 6hrs and 30minutes of optimal brain preformance time. (In your case you would have maybe 5hrs and 30 minutes)

This way you've essentially done a switcheroo. You've swapped your high performance hours for outside of school and not as high performance hours in school. I don't know about you, but unless the teacher is actually really good (rare) I learn more studying a subject via the school text book or internet in 40 minutes then I learn in a 40 minute class. It would be interesting to know what you think about this, or anyone for that matter actually. I mean what could possibly go wrong? I mean even though you do get more tired as you progress into the late hours of your day, you wont get tired enough that you ability to learn anything is effect that badly.

Ahahhha, that sounds very interesting by the way. But I can't imagine going to bet at fucking 6pm! That's what I did when I was like 4, now I'm 18 lol. I usually go to bed around midnight or so, and it works fine for me generally. But my question is: If you were to let's say go to bed at 6pm and wake up at 2:30 am, yes, you would get 8h30m of sleep, and yes you would have 5h30m to do your daily tasks before school, but what will you do with the 5h30m? 

One context I could imagine it working is if you are shooting for enlightenment and are dead fucking serious. Like serious, serious. So you would do self inquiry for like 4 hours straight from 2:30am till maybe 6:30am. That could be epic, but it would be hard to go to bed at 6pm I could imagine. That's probably the biggest obstacle at least for me, but it could work. But I think if one were to implement it, they would have to work themselves up to it. So maybe they would go to bed 1h earlier than normal, then 2, then 3 until they could go to bed at 6pm and wake up at 2:30am. That's not something you can do in one go.