Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kray

Check out Albert Camus

8 posts in this topic

After reading some of his work like "The Stranger" and "The Fall", I think Camus' perspective best captures questions we have as MODERN men. While the Buddha, Socrates, and other Ancient philosophers brought many profound questions in the history of humanity, the questions that Camus presents in his works can easily relate to our day to day lives. I think the way he presents Absurdism in his novels is so hitting because it relates to our everyday modern realities. If anyone wants to get into Absurdism, definitely check out "The Stranger". 

Camus is great. 

Not only does he confront notions of the absurd in a surprisingly life affirming way, he was an existentialist with a social conscious (which is more than can be said for some his contemporaries, like Sartre).

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Camus has been a great aid in lifting myself out of depression and creating a happy life. Also as a writer myself, he’s a great inspiration

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

3 hours ago, DocWatts said:

Camus is great. 

Not only does he confront notions of the absurd in a surprisingly life affirming way, he was an existentialist with a social conscious (which is more than can be said for some his contemporaries, like Sartre).

Yea presents it rather comfortably

37 minutes ago, Max_V said:

Camus has been a great aid in lifting myself out of depression and creating a happy life. Also as a writer myself, he’s a great inspiration

Literally the same here. If there's one thing that The Stranger taught me, it's that we all die the same, no matter how great we are. Really put things in perspective. 

Camus and Sartres' absurdism assumes that the absurdity lies in our capacity to, despite desiring otherwise, not finding meaning in the world itself.

They assume that it is themselves in relation to it which is absurd, but that is wrong. What is truly absurd is 'prior' to that even, the absurdity that we can imagine something and justify conclusively to ourself the inherence of this something to whatever it is not in presence. In other words, the logical absurdity is Camus ability to imagine that there is such a thing which could possibly be different than his desire of it to be. He concludes with life-force being absurd in its contradiction to what has no such force, in reality though there actually only is self-contained opposition, Camus were wrestling with himself on absurd premises, this though inadequately so he exposed in the Myth of Sisyphus.

That we are born incapable of dividing without thought, and that non the less something is of us such that plurality appears without thought, is were he got lost.

This plurality is apprehension, unawaringly so Camus absurdity hinges on the plurality of apprehension being explicable (as a metaphysical materialism, it is indeed absurd though to require such a thing when it is precisely its vail that absurds).

Edit. It is like a paradox, it is there if and only if you impose you imagination on whatever preceded and desire simultaneously to square them, like a baby wanting to rule.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@kray Indeed.

'The stranger' didn't have an effect on me really. I felt surprised because people talked about it so highly.

Then I realised I'd kind of already slipped into that absurdist state of mind. I think I also watch a Youtube clip of Camus a few years prior that really resonated with me.

Shit is so absurd when you really think about it. But hey, life goes on, and all we can do is laugh into the abyss ;).

(And become enlightened ofc ;) ) 

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

That something can at all be for nothingness never to become as a rational realization followed by the human desire for reducible singular substance in finite causality such for nothingness to be eternal prior to it, this however, is the absurdity of life.

To never accept the above due to the constant proclivity of intuition and the identities of imagination which follows, that a synthetic answer for why there is something rather than nothing is impossible, to not accept this such as in the state I find myself over and over, that is, if anything, the actual "absurd".

If Camus truly meant this, which I have a faint feeling he might've then he did not write the books he should've.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?