MrTouchdown

Existent vs nonexistent things

17 posts in this topic

What is the fundamental difference between something that exists and something that doesn't exist in your view?

My understanding is existent things/beings have properties and nonexistent things/beings have no properties.

7 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

What is the fundamental difference between something that exists and something that doesn't exist in your view?

My understanding is existent things/beings have properties and nonexistent things/beings have no properties.

The problem is you are making the distinction that properties exist in the "physical"  or objective world.  And that the world of imagination is not real

Yet there is no such distinction.   Imagination and reality is a duality.   Imagination and reality are actually one thing.   So "properties" are relative to what you describe.   Properties could easily be something you are imagining  - if we accept that imagination and reality are the same...

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 What you imagine exists only in your imagination right? Why do you claim everything is imaginary?

3 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Inliytened1 What you imagine exists only in your imagination right? Why do you claim everything is imaginary?

Because reality is made of mind not material. 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@MrTouchdown

38 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

You're making a logical error when you say "nonexistent things."  If there is a thing, it exists.  

@Shambhu I agree nonexistent things don't exist. When I say nonexistent things I'm talking about an imaginable thing such as a 6 dollar bill. 

Edited by MrTouchdown

9 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Inliytened1 What is mind in your view?

Everything.   The distinction between imaginary and existence, or real and Imaginary, is in fact Imaginary.  It exists as long as you believe it exists.  There are no distinctions at the Absolute level because reality is groundless.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 If you equate the words real and imaginary then you are claiming they have the same meaning. So in saying the distinction is imaginary you are also saying the distinction is real based on your definitions. This is a contradiction. So which is it?

Edited by MrTouchdown

5 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Inliytened1 If you equate the words real and imaginary then they have the same meaning. So in saying the distinction is imaginary you are also saying the distinction is real based on your definitions. So which is it?

All distinctions ultimately break down when you get to the root of reality.   There is no difference between real and imaginary or existing and non existing.  You create the distinction between a physical "real" world and the world within your mind.  

Why can't reality be exactly like your dreams at night ?  Why can't that be the structure or  metaphysical nature?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@MrTouchdown

12 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Shambhu I agree nonexistent things don't exist. When I say nonexistent things I'm talking about an imaginable thing such as a 6 dollar bill. 

Yes, so both exist, but in different ways. 

All things are composed of name and form, or concept and percept.  That which is imagination only can be identical in name to what is perceived as "before us," but the form is different.

@Shambhu So in that case nonexistent things can't even be imagined because as soon as one imagines it then it exists in one's imagination.

Edited by MrTouchdown

2 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

Because reality is made of mind not material. 

Isn't this mind supposedly omnipotent though? What if it wanted the world to actually be physical instead of just seeming to be... could it do this or not?

If not, wouldn't this make it non-omnipotent? Lol. 

28 minutes ago, michaelcycle00 said:

Isn't this mind supposedly omnipotent though? What if it wanted the world to actually be physical instead of just seeming to be... could it do this or not?

If not, wouldn't this make it non-omnipotent? Lol. 

It does this via Mind.  Mind is Infinity.  Infinity is everything which is simultaneously nothing.  All it has to do is create the illusion of physicality - which it does because nothing permeates through the physical world  (rendering it Mind or a dream) So yes it is thus Omniscient and Omnipotent simultaneously.   

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@MrTouchdown I've thought a bit about non-existence recently. I basically equate nothingness and non-existence, in what I was doing here. 

I basically feel myself to be in some boundary between existence and non-existence, and tortured for it 

--

There's also this interesting quote I came across saying that evil is neither a being nor a good (relation to "non-existence")

On the contrary, Dionysius says (Div. Nom. iv), "Evil is neither a being nor a good." 

I answer that, One opposite is known through the other, as darkness is known through light. Hence also what evil is must be known from the nature of good. Now, we have said above that good is everything appetible; and thus, since every nature desires its own being and its own perfection, it must be said also that the being and the perfection of any nature is good. Hence it cannot be that evil signifies being, or any form or nature. Therefore it must be that by the name of evil is signified the absence of good. And this is what is meant by saying that "evil is neither a being nor a good." For since being, as such, is good, the absence of one implies the absence of the other.

"evil doesn't exist, but it's precisely its nonexistence that makes it evil"

A very interesting idea for evil, I can tell something's there (,as it fuses with my lucid dream thoughts and  unconscious thoughts about black holes) 

But on personal level, I just think this world is evil in nature intrinsically (and I made the mistake of internalising that evil) 

https://nobulart.com/the-ai-vampire/

https://nobulart.com/the-parasitic-infection/

--

One thing you might intuitively consider then maybe is "actual things" vs "virtual/non-existent things", if say you wanted to navigate the world and found some things to be more real and truthful than other things. Virtual entities being phantoms and illusions which are empty. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

9 hours ago, MrTouchdown said:

The difference is context and how your mind interact with them. If you think about buying a broom, you most likely think of what usability it will have for you in terms of cleaning. If you think of a witches broom. your mind will most likely think about the broom as a vehicle prior to it being a cleaning tool, even if it can be used as both. So nonexistent things/beings have just as much properties as you allow them to have.

Imagination is what binds the two concepts togheter.

@MrTouchdown

10 hours ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Shambhu So in that case nonexistent things can't even be imagined because as soon as one imagines it then it exists in one's imagination.

All things are existent; you cannot have a nonexistent thing.  If a nonexistent thing existed, it would not be nonexistent.  Nonexistent things are...nonexistent. 

The distinction you are attempting to make may be between real and unreal.  There are real things and unreal things.  Your computer screen is real, but the horns on a rabbit are unreal.  Now, do horns on a rabbit exist?  The answer is "yes," but only as imagination.

I am intentionally avoiding the discussion of the false dichotomy of matter and mind in order to help clarify your original question.