soos_mite_ah

Head Empty, No Thoughts: Mentally Checking Out or Hitting a Stage Yellow Wall

22 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I'll have to dig for it. Give me a second.

Look, it's fine to read about general developmental theory or consult your own experiences and synthesize your own understanding. However, I would be careful lumping all of that under the label of "SD", certainly when it goes against the core assumptions of said theory, and doubly so when the developers themselves have explicitly rejected it.

We're talking about a specific scientific theory that is based on decades of rigorous empirical investigation and is represented by a specific set of people (it's a trademarked concept). That is what SD is. If you have some starkly different opinion about human development, then that is not SD. You can call it something else.

It's easy to poo-poo the intellect when you've had a couple of mystical experiences and start to feel intrinsic joy etc., and you may think that it's the solution to all the world's problems. Maybe it is, but how do you share it with the world without say letting it devolve into a cult or a religion (*cough* last 5000 years *cough*), or without it being corrupted by rivalrous game dynamics or other systemic issues? That is an intellectual problem, which Yellow thinks it can solve, and which Turquoise is starting to solve. A person like Sadhguru has not abandoned his intellect. He has simply put it in (proper) context with the mystical dimension of life.

Mysticism certainly has a real place in the future of this world and will play a part in "higher stages of development", but the way it's being romanticized in places like spiritual communities (and projected onto whatever scientific theory) is not helpful. Mysticism has existed along slavery and all the other atrocities of pre-modern history. One of SD(i)'s strengths is in explaining how this is no longer the case, and it has to do with a movement from lower to higher complexity across all domains.

Perhaps you'd benefit from learning about the Buddhist perspective.  An intellectual understanding of the world isn't seen as important to them.  You become "enlightened", you "get it", and then you help others do the same.  What else is there? What would you gain from working on harder and harder intellectual problems? Some dopamine hit? Feeling proud of yourself? It's all a distraction.  This is what you realize at the highest level of development.

16 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

What would you gain from working on harder and harder intellectual problems? Some dopamine hit?

Avoiding creating excess victims. Let's forget pre-modernity and holy wars: look at all the contemporary guru scandals.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.