Matt23

Meditation And Back Pain/belly Breathing

5 posts in this topic

I've been meditating for a couple years now, and I've experienced some amazing benefits from it.  One thing I have been having a little trouble with is back pain.  I've heard that belly breathing is the type of breathing best suited for calming the mind.  Though, when I do this it deactivates my abdominal muscles, therefore making my lower back (and upper sometimes) start to ache.  I was instructed by a Pilates teacher that instead of using belly breathing and relaxing the abs, it would be better for my back to flex my abs and breath from just below the scapula in the back.  It feels like the big, flat muscles in your upper back are extending out and in.  I've tried this a few times.  I notice that, though my back doesn't ache, I'm putting a lot of effort into my abs.  Resulting in my mind becoming more tense.  Therefore kind of defeating the purpose of meditation for me. 

Basically, is it better to:  A) flex one's abs and then try to overcome the tension in the mind.  B)  Belly breath, but still have some pain in the back.  C)  Belly breath, but somehow still relieve the back at the same time?  

Let me know if you've had similar experiences, and if you've managed to overcome it and how. 

Cheer!

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

is it better to:  A) flex one's abs and then try to overcome the tension in the mind.  B)  Belly breath, but still have some pain in the back.  C)  Belly breath, but somehow still relieve the back at the same time?  

All of the above would work, if you just accept each situation and relax into them, pain and all

or D) Sit more comfortably, put a couple coushions to support you, maybe even try meditating in a chair or on the couch, even your bed would work, you don't have to be in a certain postition to meditate, although each individual is unique, so do whatever you want. 

Hey, Matt! 

I get a bit back pain/ache as well meditating. Just find a position that makes your spine the most erect, maybe use a pillow to sit on to elevate your seat a bit. That helps get the posture right. When it comes to your A,B and C, I wouldn't suggest flexing the abs since your supposed to completely relax. Gets me back to my first point. Just make sure you sit comfortably enough to not get the back pain, lean against a pillow or the wall if you have to, I do that mostly. I don't know if you might have some issues around your abdomen/spine/lower back that causes this though, but this is what works for me. 

When I sit with my back erect with no leaning against something. Just slightly roll your shoulders back and lift up your chest, helps with the posture. 

When I sit against a pillow or something else, I pretty much do the same thing, but it obviously relieves more tension from my back. 

Maybe try different postures. 

Memento Mori 

Flow With Life
https://trondsworld.com

Thanks for the insights.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I also have back pain at times. Practicing yoga for 5 minutes a day has basically solved my problem. I set the intention "I want to release the pain in my back", and then I let my intuition guide me. Child's pose helps a lot!