Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heisenburger

How Do I Deal With Overwhelming Fear And Uncertainty About My Future?

3 posts in this topic

I'm a high school student and all my authentic values point to something I have no idea how to monetise. At this point  I have no idea how to get a job or pay the bills when I leave home, at this point the fear of uncertainty is too great that I'll probably take the easy route and go to university like everyone else. It's just too big a leap for me to go from high school to a situation where I'm hustling just to get money for rent etc. And I'm looking at going into college even ought authentically I probably don't need the education I'll get from it, just for the security of being around people the same age in a similar situation and not having to be totally independent yet. How do I find courage to do this and not just take the easy way out and go to college like everyone else?

Edited by heisenburger

Who says that going to college is an easy way out? I personally struggled with school, and still struggle, with getting it done properly. There are a lot of great things you can find in school. In fact you can find courage there too. You just need to implement yourself in the right ways. By that I mean, you have to get outside of your comfort zone. Here are some ways you can accomplish this, but there are a million ways you can practice getting comfortable with discomfort:

• Get used to the sensation of taking cold showers
  • Meditate for 30 minutes everyday (it's not as easy as it sounds)
  • Say "Hello" to random people on the street, or smile at every single passerby
  • When inside an elevator, face the people instead of cornering yourself and avoiding eye contact
  • Dress up as a homeless man, and beg on the street (even for an hour), and then give away your earnings to a real homeless man
  • You can also do something else on the street like raising awareness for something, or playing a musical instrument
  • Do something like the things you see above, and other things that you would think make you feel nervous and outside of comfort EVERY DAY

Please do consider my suggestion, as I was once in high school going through the same things as you are. Now 25, and I can tell you that it gets easier the older you get, but you must be willing to work on personal development, which I am glad you are, since you are here.

I think you could at least think more about your options of going to college. But if you choose to go the enterpreneurial way or whatever way you want, remember it's not really about what you do, it's about how you do it, and to get that courage, develop the habits I mentioned above, as well as other habits that will help you get yourself out of comfort.

Good luck, my friend! I wish you compassion and courage, and an examined life :D

@ashashlov Let me preface by saying that I am truly sorry you are overwhelmed with fear and uncertainty.  This is the kind of place that can be paralyzing to you ....................if you let it.  I agree with ashashlov and some of the examples given about how to find your way.  Take some of those ideas out for a spin and see how it goes.  As for my two cents, college isn't for everyone.  IF you are not sure, then do some exploration while you support yourself and become independent from your family.  While I did go to college, I did not go right away and I found that as an older student, I could truly appreciate the opportunities presented at college more so than if I had gone to college right away.  If you are not sure, take your time with your decision because the colleges are not going anywhere..............LOL!!  Lots of best wishes to you in your endeavors!