Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faith

How Can I Have A Strong Self-worth While Following A Spiritual Path?

10 posts in this topic

In the past, I have relied heavily on my looks to build my self-worth which unfortunately triggered unhealthy behaviours such as narcissism and self-consciousness.

How can I use awareness and meditation to feel good about my self-worth, to heal my old wounds created by narcissism and self-consciousness?

Thank you :)

44 minutes ago, Danielle said:

Practice self love daily and be mindful of the narcissistic behaviours and  thoughts that your ego is producing. Apply awareness when you catch yourself doing something even slightly selfish or egotistical.Meditation can help you see with more clearity the patterns of said behaviours Try doing some shadow work and relfect on past events, figure out what has truly happend at the moment and let it go. No need to carry it around with you anymore :) 

Thank you for this message. I do try to apply awareness as much as I can, and I notice that when I talk to people, I don't actually care what they have to say as long as they are paying attention to me, and as long as they think what a great guy I am. This has worked for so long that only now that I am doing awareness and meditation work, I realize how much it holds me back. I will try to reflect while I meditate and see if anything deeper comes up :)

24 minutes ago, Empty said:

@ashashlov  It's VERY hard to break free!!

I know. I have always felt self-conscious, even now that I am older and wiser (hopefully), I still feel it. Maybe you can tell me more about your experience? I think your words could help shed light on this rather difficult arena.

Thank you :)

17 minutes ago, Echoes said:

This is a very good passage, thank you. To me what he speaks is that I need to disidentify with my appearance in order to feel the freedom I seek when I am in public places. I need to become "nothingness" and stop trying to feel good by worrying about what others think about me or if they are looking, or something of that sort.

The problem is that you are looking outside of yourself for approval. You enjoy the attention of others because it makes you feel validated. This is problematic because the only opinion that matters when determining your self-worth is YOUR opinion of yourself.

Meditation will be beneficial to you because it will help you realize that you are not your body. This realization will make it easier for you to place less emphasis on your looks.

@ashashlov  15 months of daily meditation ( the do-nothing technique, strong determined sittin, self-inquiry). I had some pretty good gains, but my ego is still big. All I can say is that if you have problems: anxiety, lack of confidence, ect, do not go all in on enlighnment. You better do shadow work. That's what I do now. If you go all in on enghlinment,  you will experience the dark soul of a night Leo talked about. They can be very discouraging on the path.

Wish you a glorious freedom :)  

17 hours ago, Bodhi123 said:

The problem is that you are looking outside of yourself for approval. You enjoy the attention of others because it makes you feel validated. This is problematic because the only opinion that matters when determining your self-worth is YOUR opinion of yourself.

Meditation will be beneficial to you because it will help you realize that you are not your body. This realization will make it easier for you to place less emphasis on your looks.

Yes, I had a similar rationale. I depend too much on my body, and it will be a great thing for me to realize how I am not my body. Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Empty said:

@ashashlov  15 months of daily meditation ( the do-nothing technique, strong determined sittin, self-inquiry). I had some pretty good gains, but my ego is still big. All I can say is that if you have problems: anxiety, lack of confidence, ect, do not go all in on enlighnment. You better do shadow work. That's what I do now. If you go all in on enghlinment,  you will experience the dark soul of a night Leo talked about. They can be very discouraging on the path.

Wish you a glorious freedom :)  

Thank you for that message. I have been getting doubts in my meditation recently. Somedays I don't meditate at all and binge on other things. I am very much still an infant in this spiritual work. But I have to say, I do love working on fear. Whenever I feel fear during meditation (in my case, I am terrified of the dark), afterwards, I usually feel amazing. Still, doubt and discouragement prevail on some days. It truly is a ride, isn't it :)