Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thestarguitarist14

Why is the south still racist?

17 posts in this topic

So, I am originally from Maryland and used to go down south every Summer for vacation.  I used to also race go karts and am a NASCAR fan.

Bubba Wallace, the online African American in the sport and someone who I used to know years ago got big for getting the confederate flag banned in NASCAR and fighting for racial equality.

There was an incident where a team member saw a rope tied like a noose in Bubba’s garage stall, reported it to NASCAR, they told Bubba and NASCAR made a huge deal of it.  The FVI eventually found out it had been there with another team so it wasn’t a hate crime.

Ever since then then the die hard fans in the south have been booing him and calling him the N word.  He gets a ton of hate on social media as well.  He just released a trailer for his docuseries on Netflix and the amount of racist responses are appalling.

This is just a symptom of a bigger problem: the South is racist.  Like all of South Carolina is racist, outside of Atlanta Georgia is racist, Alabama is racist, Mississippi is racist, Tennessee is racist, Louisiana is racist.  

Why is the south so far behind.  I have to believe that Fox News is a big part of this.

5 hours ago, Yarco said:

That's a weird leap to make. Fox News is watched all over the country, not just in the South.

You do realize that the Conservatives as a strategy have taken over the south right?  That’s the Bible Belt.  The hard hard right wingers are all out there 

Edited by Thestarguitarist14

You lack nuance in the question you are posing. Saying the South is racist is stupid.

Look at how the southern states / districts flipped from conservative to liberal in the last few political elections. Red states will slowly turn into blue states as people migrate, and political influence of new generations.

Austin TX is one of the most progressive/liberal cities in the US. You need  travel more.

Edited by Terell Kirby

43 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

You lack nuance in the question you are posing. Saying the South is racist is stupid.

Look at how the southern states / districts flipped from conservative to liberal in the last few political elections. Red states will slowly turn into blue states as people migrate, and political influence of new generations.

Austin TX is one of the most progressive/liberal cities in the US. You need  travel more.

There is so much wrong with your post that it is sad.

First off, I basically grew up in the south, have friends who live in the Deep South and still go there.  So don’t tell me about the south.

Secondly, you clearly have never been to the south.  Georgia is all red outside of Atlanta.  Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi (the confederate flag is on their state flag!), Louisiana and South Carolina are straight red.  Virginia is blue and North Carolina is purple but that is not the Deep South.  Like Charlotte North Carolina is liberal but if you go to Greensboro North Carolina and you are a black man driving a Black BMW you are getting pulled over.

I have had friends move out of Nashville, Greensboro, Raleigh, and Metro Atlanta and the reason that they cited was that it was too racist.

The cops racially profile there like motherfucker.  Confederate flags are a big deal in the Deep South.  It’s died down since Trump is out of office, but go to Myrtle Beach in the summer and you will see  a sea of confederate flags.

Texas is the Southwest and really its own thing.  Austin is dope but that part of Texas isn’t really the south.  Even then Texas is still mostly red.

I think maybe what the OP is trying to get it is why there is MORE racism in the South than in the North, particularly compared to the Northeast.

I actually still don't fully understand it either. I mean I know that the South has always had a history of having represented racism and bigotry since the 1800s.  However, I thought that with slavery having been completely abolished and outlawed throughout the whole country since 1865, Jim Crow laws having been completely eliminated throughout the whole country since the late 1960s, and Obama having become America's very first black president ever from 2009-2017, that the South would no longer be as racist as it always has been.

16 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

I think maybe what the OP is trying to get it is why there is MORE racism in the South than in the North, particularly compared to the Northeast.

I actually still don't fully understand it either. I mean I know that the South has always had a history of having represented racism and bigotry since the 1800s.  However, I thought that with slavery having been completely abolished and outlawed throughout the whole country since 1865, Jim Crow laws having been completely eliminated throughout the whole country since the late 1960s, and Obama having become America's very first black president ever from 2009-2017, that the South would no longer be as racist as it always has been.

They have a strong hate of the North down there.  The old guard is very closed minded and ignorant.  You can’t talk about race or religion down there.  Also, there is just a casual racism that is there.  Even in some info my southern who’re friends.

15 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

They have a strong hate of the North down there.  The old guard is very closed minded and ignorant.  You can’t talk about race or religion down there.  Also, there is just a casual racism that is there.  Even in some info my southern who’re friends.

Right, but why didn't desegregation and full citizens rights for blacks help enough white southerners see that integrating with African Americans is not bad at all? 

Leo said a couple years ago that:

On 1/21/2020 at 2:10 PM, Leo Gura said:

That's exactly the solution.

Go be around people of various races and cultures until you stop seeing them as other or weird.

Racism is very simple: it happens because people get stuck in a small circle of those who look like them and think like them. If everyone traveled around the world and interacted with people of all races and cultures, racism would disappear in a few generations.

People deliberately segment themselves into like-minded enclaves in order to avoid expanding their sense of self and realizing their oneness with all beings.

This is why people in major cities are less racist than those who live in the countryside. Because in a big city you are forced to interact with those who are different than you, but in the countryside you're living among your own kind, living in a racial/ethnic bubble.

Basically, stopping wanting to cling to your own kind enough though that is what's more comfortable for your ego-mind.

That's exactly how I eliminated so much of the racism I had when I was a young kid. During all of my high school and college years, I was around many asian, black, and latino students. Also, my family and I also worked with a lot latinos throughout most of my childhood when we renovated houses. Furthermore, I had some black and brown teachers and instructors in a number of classes I took in high school, college, graduate school, and in the martial arts studio I used to belong to for over a decade.

I wonder if there are more areas in the southern and middle regions of America that aren't as racially/ethnically diverse as there are in the Northeast and costal regions of the country.

5 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Right, but why didn't desegregation and full citizens rights for blacks help enough white southerners see that integrating with African Americans is not bad at all? 

Andrew Johnson.  He really derailed the South.  Huge racist.

5 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

That's exactly how I eliminated so much of the racism I had when I was a young kid. During all of my high school and college years, I was around many asian, black, and latino students. Also, my family and I also worked with a lot latinos throughout most of my childhood when we renovated houses. Furthermore, I had some black and brown teachers and instructors in a number of classes I took in high school, college, graduate school, and in the martial arts studio I used to belong to for over a decade.

I wonder if there are more areas in the southern and middle regions of America that aren't as racially/ethnically diverse as there are in the Northeast and costal regions of the country.

That is pretty much it.  The white people who aren’t racist grew ip in diverse cities.  When you get a bunch of white people in one area alone for years and years you get racism, which explains NASCAR’s fanbase and their racist problems.  Thigh NASCAR is changing.

1 hour ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

Andrew Johnson.  He really derailed the South.  Huge racist.

That is pretty much it.  The white people who aren’t racist grew ip in diverse cities.  When you get a bunch of white people in one area alone for years and years you get racism, which explains NASCAR’s fanbase and their racist problems.  Thigh NASCAR is changing.

Oh, so does the South have a lot more rural areas than the North?

13 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Oh, so does the South have a lot more rural areas than the North?

They both have rural parts.  The North is just very liberal and industrialized.  The South is rather poor for the most part and there are way more boondocks out there.

33 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

They both have rural parts.  The North is just very liberal and industrialized.  The South is rather poor for the most part and there are way more boondocks out there.

Oh, so the South doesn't have as much manufacturing companies as the North does?

1 minute ago, Hardkill said:

Oh, so the South doesn't have as much manufacturing companies as the North does?

Bingo.  The South has NASCAR, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Nashville and that’s it.  Outside of that it’s pretty county for the most part.

Bingo.  The South has NASCAR, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Nashville and that’s it.  Outside of that it’s pretty county for the most part.

I see. 

So, the South probably needs to catch up on industrialization and racial integration in order to reduce a lot of the racism down there.

25 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

I see. 

So, the South probably needs to catch up on industrialization and racial integration in order to reduce a lot of the racism down there.

That would help.  Charlotte and Atlanta shows that the South has potential.  White supremacy is what is holding the South back. They don’t want to expand because they fear that it will become liberal and other races will take their jobs.

48 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

That would help.  Charlotte and Atlanta shows that the South has potential.  White supremacy is what is holding the South back. They don’t want to expand because they fear that it will become liberal and other races will take their jobs.

Yeah, well it’s looking like there’s nothing much that they can do about it in the long-run. More and more black and brown people keep moving into the South. Furthermore, they say that by 2045, whites in the USA will no longer be the majority. Also, manual farm labor is getting replaced by industrial labor.

23 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Yeah, well it’s looking like there’s nothing much that they can do about it in the long-run. More and more black and brown people keep moving into the South. Furthermore, they say that by 2045, whites in the USA will no longer be the majority. Also, manual farm labor is getting replaced by industrial labor.

I think that’s why they are acting out so much.  2020 was a huge L for the “bad guys”. They see that their white hold on the nation is coming to an end.