Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
General 2

Enlightenment And Raising Kids

5 posts in this topic

Leo, please share you vision on how to raise a non-neurotic, mentally stable person who can fully function in a human society, without neglecting self-enligtenment principles (and all you teach us in your videos)?

I mean kids mostly operate on a low-conscious level especially when raised by parents who never heard of self-development (and some even of any kind of development). You can leave your kid with a childhood trauma...Imagine these:

1) A kid is bullied (hopefully not). You teach him to be patient with his bullies and look into their personal problems and not to take things seriously and basically just stay calm and silent. Such a behaviour makes his bully even more persistent and angry (especially when he feels support of his group, because, well, chimpery as you once said). This leaves your kid in a misery and such a non-responsive behaviour makes him look weak into the eyes of other kids and even adults.

2) Your kid wants things that other kids have (clothes, journals, treats, gadgets etc). You teach him how meaningful it is to be attached to things (even if your family can afford it for him) and this again leaves him cheap into the eyes of his age group. The kid might end up feeling isolated and worse that the others.

3) A kid gets insulted (by another kid or adult) at your presence. You won't talk back to a person who did this because you won't accept his anger (from an enlightened person's view) and basically do not protect your child from the offender. Or you just tell him to accept another person's abusive behaviour (which we know is not the case, but a little kid might think different). Again, the kid is left with a sense of being unprotected and basically refused in support.

My point is, no matter how spiritual and understanding towards society and monkey mind of others you might be, it is probably not useful in your parental strategy since a child's psyche is vulnerable.

Definitely agree with the idea of a video on parenting. After all, what could be more important than raising the next generation to have greater self awareness, open mindedness, compassion, etc? You might hesitate to delve into this since you don't have kids but I think you have a lot to offer us despite not being a parent. As the parent of a 5yr old this would be extremely valuable to me! 

I concur on this video idea. It's something I've been hoping to see from Leo.

I don't know if he's gonna do it, but I would also like to see this video. ❤