Vivaldo

What are your thoughts on India as a country?

69 posts in this topic

If people keep posting about stereotypes and other ethnocentric garbage, this will be locked.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

10 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

If people keep posting about stereotypes and other ethnocentric garbage, this will be locked.

Why do you think that India has been able to have it for such a long time when it has over a billion people the country, most of whom are still so poor, its country has a very underdeveloped infrastructure, and the vast majority of its citizens are not secular? 

13 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Why do you think that India has been able to have it for such a long time when it has over a billion people the country, most of whom are still so poor, its country has a very underdeveloped infrastructure, and the vast majority of its citizens are not secular? 

You can still survive in such conditions. It's just not as comfortable. Privilege is mostly about comfort and convenience.

3 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

You can still survive in such conditions. It's just not as comfortable. Privilege is mostly about comfort and convenience.

So, how is India able to maintain some kind of democracy when it is so underdeveloped?

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

So, how is India able to maintain some kind of democracy when it is so underdeveloped?

Idk why don't you find out? xD

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

Idk why don't you find out? xD

I've tried looking for the answer all over the Internet and the only thing I found so far is that it's because India already was heavily influenced by Britain's culture for about a century. Also, Gandhi's movement further promoted democracy. Yet, I still don't see how India is able to survive under a democratic government when the country has resources, GDP per capita, and infrastructure that are even poorer than even in countries like Saudi Arabia, China, and Russia which are ruled by authoritarian dictators. Leo said that the reason why low-income and underdeveloped societies don't have democratic governments is because they need authoritarian leaders in order to survive in the kind of harsh living conditions they are in.

Edited by Hardkill

22 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

I've tried looking for the answer all over the Internet and the only thing I found so far is that it's because India already was heavily influenced by Britain's culture for about a century. Also, Gandhi's movement further promoted democracy. Yet, I still don't see how India is able to survive under a democratic government when the country has resources, GDP per capita, and infrastructure that are even poorer than even in countries like Saudi Arabia, China, and Russia which are ruled by authoritarian dictators. Leo said that the reason why low-income and underdeveloped societies don't have democratic governments is because they need authoritarian leaders in order to survive in the kind of harsh living conditions they are in.

There are always exceptions to broad-sweeping statements about complex things like society. I already told you this:

On 7.1.2022 at 11:09 AM, Carl-Richard said:

I see a pattern in your posts where you try to find contradictions to SD using specific anomalous examples (e.g. "this" specific aspect of "this" specific country). I think this is the wrong approach. All models generalize at some level, and therefore there will always be inconsistencies on the level of single examples. SD is used to understand large trends of societal development across nations and ideologies, which is a very wide lens. There is always a trade-off between having a wide vs. narrow lens (generalizability vs. specificity). What you should do instead is to look at a large collection of examples, establish a pattern and see if it fits.

There is more to a country than GDP.

I do remember what you said @Carl-Richard . I guess I am just trying my best to understand why certain countries are an exception broad sweeping statements about societies.

4 hours ago, Hardkill said:

India had some visionary leaders just like in america. Indian constitution is also one of best like it have green and yellow only in it. Br.Ambedkar who was from dalit community writting a constitution for an entire country and higher caste people agreeing to it, that when americans where having slave trades, Imagine MLK getting invited to draft american constitution. 

India when all its neighbouring countries have went to authortian, military regime stood firmly with its constitutional values and democracy only coz indian collective consciousness is standing on top of great sages and gurus.

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi