Irina Wolf

Crazy experiences on Meditation

5 posts in this topic

I've been meditating for about 3 years now and I've had some experiences I thought I'd only ever witness on psychedelics.  Now today this happened (not the craziest thing that's happened to me but still a first for me)

My eyes started watering.

I started to yawn A LOT. 

A burning feeling in my chest and throat.

Random hums/sounds escaping during exhale. 

I found this so peculiar since this never happened to me before. Got me curious to what you guys have experienced physically during meditation?  

Much love from the Netherlands ?

Yawning and sound making is likely to be purification of some sort. I think those are pretty common even without psychedelics.

Eyes watering and burning sensations I don't know. Could be many things imo. 

?

Edited by Salvijus

Burning sensations (or other sensations) in energy centers (or "Chakras") are quite common when meditating. You can sense them even just by focusing the attention on those centers (crown of the head, between the eyebrows, throat, center of the chest, solar plexus, beneath the naval, and at the perineum).

Anyway, physical effects while meditating can happen because You affect the structure of the mind. And the mind affect the body (they are two sides of the same coin). It is more likely to happen if you touch on some core assumption or belief regarding who or what you are.

I've experienced various aches and pains whilst meditating over the years, I remember one instance where I was hit by a wave of nausea in my solar plexus that felt fucking awful, it was so hard to sit with it (I did, though, and the feeling dissipated after a few minutes). Different parts of my body have felt rather tender at times, too, particularly in the region of my stomach and lower back; I've felt pressure in different parts of my body, too, initially it was in my head but I've also felt it most noticeably in my heart.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@Irina Wolf Here is an old thread that I started, which described some of my early experiences during meditation.

Things are much different now, but no less fascinating ;-)