The Monk

I Don't Want To Be Average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Aamir King said:

Hey guys, 

I feel so fucking motivated right now and I want to be world class at what I do. I've learnt from Leo that if you work more than 40 hours  a week it is likely that you will become unproductive, which was shown by a study conducted by Henry Ford the car Manufacturer and owner of the car company ford who tried to find that 'sweet spot' for his worker to be most productive, .  Guys I'm a student and when I see a student acing class or knowing everything about a topic I love I just say in my head " I Fucking want that so badly I would give up anything to get that level of knowledge, and it would be worth doing, as it fulfil me"  even looking at people in the library working inspires me. I have a friend who goes to the library then goes gym, and from that I attempt to visualise his future and it's beautiful and I want that. In order to achieve that I want to be working over this 40 hours a week and still be productive, and I've seen people do this! E.g. take Obama he was an amazingly productive president and got laws passed for Obama care. Take Chinese students who achieve the most academically they do 70 hours a week and get to amazing Universities and have amazing potential for their futures. Last year I got burnt out, from working too much, but this year I want to Work more than I've ever worked and not Just get A FUCKING A Grade or 100% of the marks in my subjects I want MORE THAN THAT. I want to impress my teachers, inspire others and show that anything is possible! By working immensely hard and being acknowledged for doing something no English student in my school has done before. But, at the same time I don't want to burn out, but I want to be the BEST!!!!!!!!!  I'm so adrenaline filled right now, and feel so motivated. :o

chill out, why do you think success would make you happy? I like the passion but you seem to be attached to success. If you have empty feeling inside no outside success will ever help. I thought like you for a decade. Always the next thing and when i get this, that and etc. then im happy. If you cant enjoy now, you cant enjoy. period.

@Samuel Garcia Politics Is chimp like, because in my school they've created a debate club. Where people can go to see people erupt into anger and frustration when getting 'passionate' about topics. Which simply seems stupid to me taking into consideration that these people are very close minded which tells me that they would not be willing to entertain the fact that they may be wrong. Due to this, I stopped going to debate club as the environment isn't nice, as people sit and laugh and shout at you, at first I saw it as a kind of opportunity to enhance my public speaking skills. But, then as I started doing more meditation work,  I would continually see a great amount of people suffering from frustration anger, which presumably turns into a messy debate, and chimp like behaviour, as the debates may turn personal and lead to the ego growing, increasing suffering for those who go and those around them. Besides, the majority of people who do go, are good public speakers and extroverts, but do have relatively low levels on consciousness judging by what I've seen.

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

Truth is you'll gain some success, become above average and still feel the same as you have always felt.

What do you hope to gain by getting good grades and impressing your teachers besides and a short lived hit of stimulation? Do you see this bringing you lasting fulfilment?

Right now you are being afforded the opportunity to learn more about the world and your place in it. History, biology, mathematics, physics, philosophy, linguistics, music, art... it's all incredibly interesting, but it's all on you to see the beauty in it. If you are simply using these subjects as a means to achieve grades and social approval you will fail to see the beauty in them and you will not gain any fulfilment from them.

I would focus on gaining a deeper understanding of the world, and of yourself and your place in it. Educate yourself for education's sake, because the universe in an inherently fascinating place and no other reason than that is needed. Take advantage of the schooling offered to you but remember that your grades will become completely irrelevant the second you graduate but a quality education is life long.

40 hours is optimum when running on the 'carrot and stick' model of motivation, when you have no real authentic interest. 80 hours is easily achievable by those who are internally driven by love, fascination, awe, compassion, truth, appreciation of beauty and other authentic motivations. This is where fulfilment is rooted, although it may take years or even decades down the path of mastery in a single area before these forces are realised.