Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WokeBloke

Desire is the basis of all fear (opinion)

4 posts in this topic

So in my opinion "I don't want" is another form of desire.

Ex. I don't want to get sick is just as much as a desire as I want to eat dinner. 

The first statements appears to be the opposite of desire but in reality it is just another form of desire ("I want to be healthy" = "I don't want to get sick")

Maybe there is disagreement here? Is there a specific name to distinguish these two types of desires?

Regardless all fears are based on what you don't want to happen. 

The only reason you have fears is because you don't want certain things to happen. I propose that you can only fear something if you don't want it to happen. So underlying all fears is desire.

Ex. Perhaps you fear social situations. The only reason is because you don't want to get embarrassed or something else.

So some fears can be deconstructed because you can recognize that the underlying thing you are avoiding is not that bad. Other fears might have a really intense desire keeping it together. 

Also it is not necessary to generate fear. 

Edited by WokeBloke

the reason you are afraid is because you believe that you are a separate individual who has to fight to survive. danger lurks and you must avoid it. if you weren't afraid you would be stupid. many terrible things can happen to you. you need to be in control as much as possible to avoid it.

If you realize that you are not a separate individual, you are not in control, nothing bad can happen to you, only what has to happen to you ... you stop being afraid

Another hour, another wokebloke thread.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Desires and aversions are opposite ends of the same stick. They are both forms of attachment, and are equally blind to your true nature, which needs nothing.

The senses have been conditioned by attraction to the pleasant and aversion to the unpleasant. Do not be ruled by them; they are obstacles in your path.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.