DocWatts

Is the collapse of US democracy a foregone conclusion by this point?

23 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, DocWatts said:

What are actual pragmatic steps that can be taken at this point which take in to account the limitations imposed by the actual conditions that exist right now?

I too am an American (living in New York) who is deeply disturbed by what is happening to my country. My own approach as a private citizen -- for whatever it is worth -- is to be kind, to be gentle, to speak truth to power when necessary, but to generally listen before speaking, and to seek consensus in whatever modest form it can take. I believe our country is on the verge of a very difficult cultural transformation (from Orange to Green, in the language of Spiral Dynamics), and we are as like gardeners tending to a plant that is ailing. This task requires a great amount of sensitivity and skillfulness. So aside from voting responsibly and supporting political changes that open the door to greater democratic representation, I think the key is to be present as fully as possible.

I like Yang’s whole “we need to get out of this bionopoly/bipartisan political system” approach. Seems like that would be helpful for the democracy. 

As an American, it’s disturbing to see how divided we are. If this continues then our downfall is imminent. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@King Merk When the two party system collapses it won't be because of a spoiler third party, it will be because neither party is willing to meet the basic demands of the populace. We've been oscillating back and forth between two corrupt entities who don't serve the people. I think the only way out is to flip the table. When the boomer generation dies out and the young people demand material progress beyond the performative woke garbage we could see real change.