Jon_Bundesen

Should Teens Get A Job?

4 posts in this topic

My situation is currently that in two years I will be paying for a visit to the US and Dublin which is about 3500 dollars, I'm going with the school but I don't have the money for it right now and my parents will only pay the half (Which I'm grateful for).

If I can find a job where you don't have to work that much and get a decent income I can afford the visit.

I'm working on my life purpose right now and realized that I'm actually not using all my free time because otherwise, I will just start procrastinating. So I don't see a job as a compromise in order to work on my life purpose but also to gain some business skills etc. :)

Any advice would be great! (or consequences that having a job will create) 

There's LEVELS to this shit!!!

I started working since I was 10 years old.

Here's some things that I regret:

• Working too much (10 hours in the summer and 5 next to school).
  • Low pay.
  • Saving that low pay, cuz of scarcity mindset that I've inherited from my dad.
  • Shitty narcissistic boss.
  • Not socializing enough.
  • Not playing enough sports.
  • Not developing any good or useful skills.
  • Not making the most out of the job I was at. I could have learned it better, but I didn't.
  • Hating my job.
  • Not following my authentic desires and natural inclinations.
  • Being almost forced to work in a field that I wasn't even interested in.

That being said, I would say that getting a job doesn't necessarily have to be a bad experience. If you're 15 or more, you're more aware and intelligent than me at 10, and you can make more informed decisions. Just take into account what I listed above, and I think you will be fine.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

I haven't worked as much as @Gesundheit2, but I always had a part time job at least during the summer (often during the school year too).

My advice is don't sell yourself short by only trying shitty low qualifications-needed jobs. Try freelancing with skills you learn from sources like Udemy, YouTube, books etc.

It's not that hard to learn (for example) web development & it's much better job than being a cashier. The only downside is that you have to have discipline as there will be no boss to tell you when you're not working enough.

Keep in mind that in order to become a highly paid freelancer you have to learn A LOT. 

If you want to make it a career in the future (after you aren't s student) you will have to study on your own even more than you'd have in UNI.

Edited by Michal__

I started to work since I was 14, today I’m 26.

I see so many benefits in it :Work ethnic is my second nature. I value money and conscious to my spendings(Paying for myself). Deeply understand the nature of business and a nice thing of course is the money that comes with it..Now I don’t need to worry about it as much.

I did dedicated myself to study and graduated with good grades but always there is a trade off.. mine was probably socially(now I have enough time to enjoy that aspect as well).

Edited by Heaven