Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PepperBlossoms

Noticing low consciousness during interview process

4 posts in this topic

I am finding that the people/firms I am interviewing with are pretty unconscious when it comes to the work, activities, and clients - fast food, oil and gas, gas stations, military bases, pesticides, coal/plastics factories, etc.  There is no questioning of the impact the work is having.

Their justifications to my questioning - we have to keep clients happy, we are following regulation, we have no plans to change, we will keep doing it till the industry changes, those things are necessary, climate change is just a study, the work is interesting, we go where the money is, etc.

I am assuming that lots of careers have unconscious stuff with it.  How do you deal?

Do you try to change the industry, do you stay quiet, do you go to a different industry, do you just stick with the neutral or high conscious stuff and away from the low conscious, do you find the highest conscious firms you can find, work for yourself, etc.?

Others to add included building meat restaurants which is contributing to chain of killing animals and them telling me about their BBQ or crawfish boil social events which again is promoting killing animals.  There's also building buildings for the sake of building buildings without concern that that will eventually turn every city into Los Angeles.

It's also when I ask about company goals the answer is stage orange where they are basically just caring about growth/projects/clients but very few firms are talking about climate change, sustainability, etc. (sometimes stage blue when they bring up family values).

Edited by PepperBlossoms

Why are you interviewing your job interviewer? Just go where the money is, who cares about the environment

This is why working with others usually sucks. Find a way to work for yourself. 

I've worked in toxic finance firms and it was soul-drenching.  Much happier now that I work for myself. 

@PepperBlossoms

Yep that’s our stage Orange culture showing itself.

Some people deal with it by doing what your interviewers are doing, i.e basically just going along with it because you have to pay your own bills. Otherwise you have to find a company that is more conscious or create your own business. Those are really your only options.

If you decide to create your own business, it can still pay to have a job for a while to keep you financially a float. But you have to be planning your exit strategy at the same time.