PurpleTree

On which diet do you feel your best?

29 posts in this topic

On 18.10.2021 at 11:48 AM, Michael569 said:

Yeah sometimes all these elimination diets can become a bit of catch 22 of needing to eliminate to heal gut but not eating enough and ending up fatigued. Hard to tell what's going on without more info but maybe you could for a start see if some medical tests would be available to you that could at least tell you what's going on, especially in the gut. Is the thing more intestinal (deeper) or more towards the stomach (middle and upper torso)? 

Ok some more info so i often had a sensitive gut as a child even, when i felt anger, stress or fear it's often the strongest in the gut.

Don't get diarrhea etc. often it's just an uncomfortable feeling in the gut. Which also often keeps me awake. and sometimes it can be from something i ate or from stress.

I'm kind of always tired and battle with anxiety and irritability, but my days are completely different like one day i'm mostly fine (still kind of tired though) 

and the next day i just feel extremely tired, brain fog and very uncomfortable (more anxiety, mostly social etc.) so because of that fact i kind of get a bit obsessed with food.

Because i think maybe it's something that i ate yesterday, or the days before that's causing more anxiety and fatigue in this moment etc. (less feel good hormones)

If i had to guess i'd say it's something with the gut micro biome out of whack that they don't produce enough serotonin, dopamine etc. everyday. Or an inflammation thing.

it could also be something else, the thing is the placebo/nocebo is also really strong so it's hard to tell, sometimes i cut out some food and feel better instantly but then a bit later (or days) i'm again fatigued and more anxious.

about the gut, it's more in the lower gut in the intestines, colon i guess. recently (in the last few yrs) i've done  a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy, the doc said it's mostly fine. i've also done a sibo test, but they only test for one variant here. The doc said those things are really hard to see and it could be ibs, gut micro biome out of whack etc. 

On keto (and carnivore) for example i felt less stressed, anxious etc. for sure but then after a month my sleep got worse and worse and i started to feel worse in general.

Some other symptoms:

Acne, didn't really have that but i started to having it more since like probably about 5 yrs. Comes and goes, different everyday/week

Dandruff: had that since i was about 13 i think, sometimes a lot stronger and sometimes almost gone. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything but sometimes i think it's all tied together.

There are many "weird" rabbit holes one can go down with those things like nutrition and (mental) health. For example i'm pretty sure i have an issue with acetylcholine like it makes me feel worse easily. Seems like "many" people on reddit do have such an issue. They often don't react great to choline supplements and even fish oil, it causes brain foggy feelings in some. So it's easy to get lost in that stuff. Still kind of interesting though.

Edited by PurpleTree

@PurpleTree I'll defer to @undeather and his trained diagnostic eye to assess what's probably going on but seems like it may be a combination of multiple factors including disrupted microbiome for many years, some potential SIBO, potential intolerances stemming from disrupted intestinal integrity. All of those are hard to test for and tests and diagnostic tools are not always super accurate. 

But a test that maybe be worth doing could be: fecal calprotectin, jejunal aspirate for SIBO, IgA Tissue Transglutaminase for Coeliac and some sort of microbiome test maybe? Maybe also some general inflammation markers tested in the blood and potential some parasitology screening but I'll defer to the expert above as he is a gastroenterology medical doctor 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@PurpleTree

Its a complex case and we propably wont find the "golden diagnosis" through some rough guessing on the internet. I have read through your responses and I will give you my input - but i need those 2 questions answered first:

You mentioned low blood pressure: How low is low? What is your average? What about your heart rate?

Did you already check your thyroid function? 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

thanks @Michael569

@undeather i have checked my thyroid function and the tests came back ok, it's already like 4 or so yrs back, maybe i can still find the email with the numbers

and i don't really check my blood pressure but whenever someone checks it they usually say it's low or very low, my mom has a blood pressure check device, i'll check it

Chronic fatigue, anxiety, brain fog ... - those are the kind of unspecific symptoms that often lead to a big journey for the needle in the haystack. Its particulary difficult to find the right etiology (the causing factor) in these cases because there is an almost unending amount of issues that could cause such complaints. Quite often there is a psychological component that plays into some physilogical disturbance of homeostasis. Sometimes the cause is very simple and it just takes some intelligent screening method to find out whats wrong. 

If you want to get better, the strategy I would advise you to follow is the following: "Common things are common"
The most important thing - and thats why I am not a big fan of playing the internet doctor - is an extremely detailed medical history of all your symptoms in their temporal process. This is by far the most important step and you need to find a good doctor in your area that is willing to do that. This is especially important if the things I mention below come back without any saliences and we have to dig deeper.

Before we are going into weird territories like heavy metal toxicity, mold-exposure or subclinical viral infections, lets talk about the common causes:

These are the things I would do:
- General blood lab screening - ANYthing out of whack could hint us into a direction
- Specifically those markers up to date: Blood panel (+Differential), T3,T4,TSH, ALT, AST, LDH, Bilirubin, GGT, Amylase, Lipase, Cortisol-panel (Cortisol-DHEA-quotient!!), Creatinine, CK, B & D-Vitamin-Levels, Natrium, Potassium, Calcium, Iron-panel, Copper, Immunoglobulines, ANA, CRP, ESR. prolactin, testosterone!!, progesterone, Transglutaminase-antibodies, NT-proBNP

- Get an ultrasound of: Heart, liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, carotid arteries

- Tests to rule out a fructose, lactose -, histamine -, gluten intolerance

- ((Eventually a MRT of the brain))

- Regarding your blood pressure: If your blood pressure is too low, this could pontentially cause fatigue/anxiety. You should check this asap - buy a blooodpressure device from amazon and start measuring 2 times a day for 2 weeks. Try to sit down for 3-4 minutes before measureing. Dont measure twice, the first value you get is the one you write down. Dont forget to write down the heart rate as well. 

- For potential SIBO I would think about a diagnostic test with Rifaximin/Neomycin for 7-14 days. If it gets better, its propably that. There is a lot of literature on the "perfect" combination of several antibacterial substances - check out the work of Dr. Pimentel and Dr. Siebecker.

- Get evaluated by a psychiatrist! So many times, the real cause of such symptoms is a psychological one. 

________

Now, after that - you can go into the direction of the weirder theories! 
But then, a really good medical anamnesis is even more important and I would say even indispensable at that point! 

These are some ideas, maybe they are helpful to you -
TAke care

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

yea thank you @undeather

some of those things you recommend i've already done (and more), some i can still do

i'm also back on a low lectin diet which is really restricting and time consuming, had cheat meals yesterday and today though

i think i'm just extremely sensitive to many things, many things cause anxiety irritability etc.

for example yesterday and the day before i took a supplement with curcumin as an anti inflammatory, it also had d3 and vitC

i was really irritable those days but i already took it because i didn't feel good in the first place

but then i thought it might have been the d3 in the supplement which made me feel even more irritable, because i've had anxiety etc. before from taking a d3 supp, and i've been down the reddit rabbit holes of d3, k2 etc. etc.

feel like i'm going in cycles with this stuff

truly a needle in the haystack

but let's see how it goes

Edited by PurpleTree

4 minutes ago, ALLIS said:

Vegan whole foods as much as possible :x

?

Vegan with a daily B-12 and iron vitamin and occasional protein powder

Feels good in terms of not eating animals

Edited by PepperBlossoms