Raphael

Hypersensitivity to Sounds

6 posts in this topic

For as long as I can remember I have always been hypersensitive to noises. Noises annoys me, they makes me sad, depressed, angry. I cannot handle loud environments, they completely overblow me and drain my energy. They are currently constructions around me and this is very difficult for me to work and concentrate.

Is there something that I can do to be more at peace with noises around me? Does someone have similar experiences? Is it a biological a thing or can it be trauma related?

You have these online tests like 'are you highly sensitive?', perhaps you'd like to check it out. I found I ticked a lot of the boxes and felt more peace of mind reading what high sensitivity entails. Felt less of a weirdo afterwards. Hypersensitivity to sounds is something I have too. I also got it with lights at times. Actually I heard not too long ago someone who helped people with hypersensitivity and he suggested these people use earplugs more lol. A thought I have is actually to move to another country or location at a point where the environment is more aligned with my preferences.

Yup.  I would say I'm really sensitive to noises and sound.  It's been a huge issue for my personal growth combined with living environments.  

Even as I write, I can hear my roommates TV (TV noise is the most annoying for me), even if it probably would be considered a low-level of noise by most.  

In my future rental resumes, under preferences, I'm going to put "Quiet as the grave."  Jk

I've heard a few theories on high sensitivity.  Both could be true depending on the individual, etc.

One is the highly-sensitive personality, which says basically that some people are simply more sensitive than others. 

The other is that people with emotional trauma can become more sensitive to things.  

For me, I think it could be both.  Even since I was young I think I've been sensitive to noises; I remember going downstairs to ask my parents to keep the TV noise lower since I felt I couldn't sleep.  Our house was pretty big as well.  

But ya, I find it a big nuissance and emotional burden.  Stress.  Frustration.  Anger.  Pain in the ass-ness.  I find it so hard to concentrate, do meditation, and just be good relaxing and doing things if I can hear that slight sound of the tv on etc..  The worst part is that my mind just fixates on the sound and then I can't stop ruminating and hearing it, and the anger builds and builds etc..

I think I'm better with people's voices though, like if they're having a conversation or something.  Even then though.  

Glad to hear others have issues with this though, helps to normalize it and make it seem more bearable.  

We should unite into a new political party and stat making our own anti-sound legislation and usher in a new era of peace and tranquility.  No noise after 8:30.  No sounds above x Hz.  And instead of book burnings we'll have T.V. burnings :).   Ahhhhh, that's the dream right there. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

8 hours ago, Matt23 said:

We should unite into a new political party and stat making our own anti-sound legislation and usher in a new era of peace and tranquility.  No noise after 8:30.  No sounds above x Hz.  And instead of book burnings we'll have T.V. burnings :).   Ahhhhh, that's the dream right there. 

:D

3 minutes ago, Khr said:

I am also sensitive to sound and light. I always thought I’d make a good police dog ?

Have you tried earplugs? 

Earphones with loud relaxing music are currently working well when they are noises around me.

I think you should protect your ears with ear plugs and don't expose your self to loud noises so much.

For me i got carried away with my ears sensitivity i started to enjoy the sounds so much and before i knew it now they are permanently damaged with constant tunninus. Now i have tinnitus to enjoy. 

Edited by Soullee