Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thought Art

Psychedelic Safety and Protocols Mega Thread

8 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I am opening up this Psychedelic Safety and Protocols Mega thread because It's apparent to me that many people using psychedelics do not have the tools or resources for proper safety protocols. It is important that as a community we put safety, protocols and mature usage first and foremost in our relationship with these substances. Many people likely have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

Let's discuss risks and best practices.

I personally have had a few strange experiences that I would not like to repeat. I may share these bad trips/ reactions on a future date so that others can know what to expect. Even with protocols or experience the deeper you go you never know what will happen. I do not think there is any shame in having a bad trip or having a strange reaction. What matters is that we avoid these types of potentially dangerous situations and become lighthouses for others who may repeat the same mistakes as us.

There are basic overall protocols when it comes to using substances in general but each substance carries with it it's own unique set of precautions and considerations. I will make another post shortly listing what I have discovered personally works as good overall protocol and of course Leo has many videos discussing this subject as well.

The days of psychedelics beings something that foolish young people do is coming to an end. At least within the actualized community. We are heading toward becoming good examples for anyone interested in pursuing psychedelics as a way of spiritual growth and personal development. 

Some of these substances are so powerful that they can be terrifying and confusing. People around you who are not tripping will not know what is going on with you.

Optics are really important at this stage as psychedelics already have a bad name in society. The only way we can change that is by being mature and grounded ourselves.

This is a thread that is intended for mature conversation, sharing of articles, videos, online courses etc are proper psychedelic use, safety measures, integration tips, and other resources.

A lot of people are likely going to be tripping by themselves which means that many people are vulnerable to harming themselves which is why I think it is very important people are doing as much research as possible. Every person will have their own unique set of reactions to these substances. 

Let's turn this thread into a high quality resource to keep both us as individuals and others safe, and the name of these precious and amazing substances safe. 

Let's be wise, mature, grounded and scientific in our approach. 

Will post more soon.

Personally I am only really experienced with 5meodmt but would like to hear more about other substances as each has their own unique risks.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

5MEODMT Safety Sheet  (In progress feel free to offer critiques)

5meodmt trips are unlikely mushrooms, LSD or weed. In my experiences the route of entry, dosage, internal state going into the trip and the setting can play a big role in the overall safety and experience of the substance. 

Best Practices

1. Trip in an empty room or on your bed with no breakables like glass, sharp corners like heaters etc. It's good to trip on a yoga mat, with a blanket and some pillows in my opinion. I enjoy feeling safe, and having something to hug when the love gets good and maybe I need to cry.

2. If tripping around other people let them know what you are doing. Do not involved others in the trip. They will have no idea what you are doing and will likely be startled. You may no longer have boundaries but they still do. Remember no one else can tell what you are going through.

3. Lay down and do not move during the trip. Stay inside. Always trip inside so you have as much control over variables as possible. As much as it may seem that reality has completely disappeared it hasn't and you will be right back.

4. Always properly weigh and measure dosages. Do not get cocky, though experimentation is okay.

5. Avoid chronically tripping. Multiple trips, especially when vaping in a single setting is okay imo but it shouldn't be done more than once a week, or once every two weeks max. Come back down to earth. I know it may be challenging as the love or insights are so profound that you may just want to live in that space. However, use these insights to fuel your contemplation, meditation, Qigong, yoga or other spiritual practices.

6. I recommend you journal and record dosages, trip times, insights, reactions, mistakes, errors or problems so that you are bringing more conscious intention into the trip. Treat tripping as if you were a scientist. 

7. Remember that it is just a trip. You will be back, you still have responsibilities and you should not make any life changing decisions for at least 2 weeks after a trip. 

8. Always start with a low does. Personally vaping is my preferred way to trip. I am not a fan of taking a full 20mg all at once. Take 3mg, 3 mg, 5mg, 5mg, 7mg over the course of 3-5minutes. This is how I personally found the best way to stay relatively grounded and to avoid disorientation while tripping alone. 

9. If vaping with a dab-rig I recommend using a silicon dab rig as the glass ones are easily knocked over or dropped. (avoid all breakables)

10. Completely give in to the experience, Relax and lay back. It's all Good.

11. Plan your trips 1-2 weeks in advanced and stick to the schedule you give yourself. The best way I have found to avoid potential overuse is to be very strict in setting a distanced schedule giving you time to integrate any previous trips and to ensure you are showing the substance the respect is demands from you.

(in progress)

Risks Or Dangers 

1. Overwhelming fear. Though most of my trips have been very kind and benevolent I have had one trip that was absolute terror. I ran out into my front yard and onto the side walk and then ran right back into my house. I know this was a 'foolish' reaction. However, It's important to remember that this substance is powerful and I was tripping by myself. I was quiet, no one notice or was harmed. 

2. Pulling people into your trips. Don't. Trip by yourself or with a trip sitter with pre-agreed upon tripping rules.

3. Walking or moving around. Don't. Stay sitting or laying down. Yes, reality looks beautiful and amazing and you may really want to hold on to reality as you are being sucked into infinity. However, by tripping you are saying to yourself you are ready to fully commit to laying down and being still. WARNING: Even with a strong intention I have found that while vaping I have no memory of my intention before the trip and have walked around in the past. This is no longer an issue however, but when I first had my deepest breakthroughs it was very disorienting for me. 

(in progress)

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Leo's episode on The Top Dangers Of Using Psychedelics (Summary is here)

How to Prepare for a Trip

Edited by FlyingLotus

It might be useful to also include protocols for post tripping and integrating the experience.

Psychedelic Integration: The Most Important Part of Your Journey

Edited by FlyingLotus

@FlyingLotus Very nice! I could have used the integration advice 2 years ago. 

I think this is probably useful here too

I was contemplating Proper use, vs miss use and abuse and will share that list/ contemplation here in a week or so.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

On 10/16/2021 at 4:39 AM, Thought Art said:

I was contemplating Proper use, vs miss use and abuse and will share that list/ contemplation here in a week or so.

I look forward to hearing about this!

Sometimes not taking enough can lead to worse outcomes from my experience. This usually applies to a certain type of person though. Intuition should be trusted at least as much as the intellectualized/survival approach when choosing how to proceed. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY