Rocky

Advice On Whether To Drop Out Of University Or Not.

5 posts in this topic

Currently i'm near the end of my first semester studying for a Mechatronics BSc and its been satisfactory, despite my current situation which is i got 100% on a Mechanical Engineering diploma and the tutors at the university were debating on whether or not i would be accepted onto do a mechatronics degree amongst others from high schools and i ended up with a conditional offer only just which baffled me but of course i am grateful for, but since studying the subject i noticed a huge gap in my knowledge in half the subjects being taught mainly maths, not because i found it difficult but just that i hadn't been taught it, anyway long story short i failed all my exams first quarter and the guy i worked with on one of my practicals dropped out so i failed my electronics practical too since he didn't tell me for over a month saying he'd come back..., despite this ive continued to work hard morning to midnight even on days i goto university i do about 4 to 6 hours revision, but it had me thinking most people on this course have no idea that we are learning a bunch of useless crap and we are literally being told that we will get paid a lot of money if we knew aspects of maths that are almost never used in engineering. Sure its impressive but in my opinion its more intelligent and better use of my life and time to learn relevant information that i can use and leave the theory that has little practical use to mathematicians .

In all honesty i feel like the course is all or nothing for me though for what i want to do since employers seem to be focused on employing those that are college educated and wouldn't even consider me if i was an autodidact for example, in my opinion college education being related to how intelligent someone is and how well they will perform at work in this field n my experience seems so superficial its unreal and only looks good on paper.

Im currently 18 which is still kind of young and im only just starting to understand what i want to do and believe im on the right course but i just feel that university for the way in which the subject is taught is useless but i don't know any other alternative that would combine practical and theory with just the relevant parts of the subjects.

Could you please give me some advice and opinions on what i should do, i know people will tell me that they cant tell me what i should do but what would you do if this was your situation?

how long is your university? 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

What I know from dudes studying math with me back then is this: some of them failed big time in the first and second semester, but some of them that failed (many quit of course) even ended up getting a math Phd. So you never know. If you like what you are doing, I would give it at least another year before you go or are forced to go. Or are there any obvious options that you have right now?

Edited by Toby

It's a 4-year course, 2 years of theory, a minors qualification and an internship.

And i'll try to keep on going with it i currently believe im on the right course in general its just been so frustrating so ao far, its good to here that if i do fail and kicked off the course its not the end for me. I dont see any other alternatives at the moment. 

Let me shed light on this subject.

Rocky, your belief is rather it is all or nothing. This limited way of thinking, which seems promoted by the educational system is not necessary a truth. Although logical, doing it well, or not. But not truth in a sense it can make you happy, fulfilled at the same time you want to have results on school.

I studied biology and a bunch of other courses from the university. And dropped out, but exactly the opposite from your situation. I scored very high, and had no reason to cut it off due to it.

But it did not make me happy. With all my intellect, high scores, I was not happy. My world view got distorted, my emotional life became flat, and my head a furnace.

So, in the end, I dropped it myself. I could either go on, or drop it and pick it up later.

Glad that I dropped it, studied a lot of philosophy, and found a teaching that truly works.

I said: Let me live a simple life. Let me get rid of useless contacts. Away from all sensory indulgence of the world and its delusional views. Let me cut of the root in my mind that continuously makes me think that I must be- or become someone for the world and its delusions. And if it does not work, let me go back to university.

And so it is, I live simple now, eat only once a day, meditate a lot, studied the Dharma of lord Buddha (dropped it now, due to that I am realizing it), purified my belief system, intentions, speech, act, effort, livelihood, attention and concentration, and my heart became freed from the snare of delusion, hatred and desire.

The result: I am not going to pick it up again. I realized my true life purpose, which is deeper and more profound then university, being clever, being hold loot in front of my nose each time promising that my life will be better if I continue to be or become someone in this world according to world mass belief.

Surely, Rocky, there is another way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBDIoLi3C4 Ahayah Ashar Ahayah, chant and be free!