Gianna

How To Do The Work - Dr. Nicole LePera

16 posts in this topic

I am only on chapter 5 of this book right now, but I would highly recommend chapters 1-5 for those interested in how trauma manifests in the body, and thus, later behavior (because of the body's reactions/survival mechanism). Super interesting the way this book ties everything together if you have been studying spirituality and psychology for a while. Its basis in 'Holistic Psychology' really summarizes the nature of the book– holistic.  

It doesn't. But I thought about that too! 

Trauma is such an important subject, I believe, so thanks very much for the recommendation, @Gianna, I'll definitely check it out :)

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@Gianna I like the excerpt I've read so far, it's very well-written and I like that she takes a holistic approach to healing trauma, I think that's absolutely the right way to go about it :)

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@RickyFitts So cool you checked it out! And yes! Agreed. The holistic approach to healing is cultivating so much understanding for me. 

5 hours ago, Gianna said:

The holistic approach to healing is cultivating so much understanding for me. 

That's wonderful, glad it's been so beneficial for you :)

@Gianna I've been following Nicole on Instagram for some time. Does the book focus only on trauma or does it also include relationship advice and awareness, self-image, etc. (basically all the stuff she posts on instagram that is not focused on trauma)? 

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

@Superfluo So it focuses a lot on trauma and conditioning. A lot. Like I am on chapter 10 and it hasn't gone much into relationship advice. It does have a chapter on the ego which would be self-image and awareness. But I am not entirely sure what she posts on Instagram because I do not follow her. Do you want me to send you a digital copy of the book? 

@Bazooka Jesus Hehehe. Yes! PM me your email or wherever I should send it because the file format is not accessible here (actualized.org).

22 hours ago, Gianna said:

Do you want me to send you a digital copy of the book? 

I'm good, but thank you very much. Maybe I'll buy it in the future.

@Gianna If I remember correctly, you have read also some books written by Teal Swan. Is this book by Nicole deeper or more nuanced, or just plain better in your opinion? Asking just to see if it's worth giving it a chance since I've read/learned quite some stuff on traumas.

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

Well, okay. So I've read Teal's Anatomy of Loneliness and The Completion Process. These books are life-changing in regard to trauma although they talk a lot about what is already on her YouTube channel. I would say that Teal's books are more practical/applicable in regard to trauma than Nicole's book. (I've also read Teal's The Sculptor in the Sky but this one is not about trauma.) Anyway, what I would say what Nicole LePera's book did for me is connect how trauma coincides with your body. Specifically, your nervous system. It really helped me to understand why I had certain biological reactions towards things (like how binge eating– for example– relates to trauma). Whereas, Teal's books on trauma is more about healing on the level of the psyche. Also, I've finished all of Teal's books yet Nicole's book I stopped at chapter 11 because I feel like I took everything I needed away from what I read and became disinterested in the rest. Maybe I'll finish it. But Teal's books? It's not something I lost interest in but– granted– I did do it audio style so it was very easy and soothing listening to her voice. haha 

@Gianna Thank you ^_^