GrandeOrso

Travelling as a mean to grow

4 posts in this topic

What do you people think about travelling as a way to grow? I'm 26 and very undecided, I wish to do good and I have a desire to see and discover. 

I did travel for 1 year and met people that did it for a decade, or maybe 3-4-5-6 years in a row, working odd jobs or being digital nomads. Do you think those are years well spent? 

I honestly can't conceive of a better way to spend time, since I don't know what I want to master. It's the exploraration process at its finest

I'm interested in your thoughts

If that's what you want to do and if you think you'll get some good life experiences out of that, do it.

2 hours ago, GrandeOrso said:

What do you people think about travelling as a way to grow? I'm 26 and very undecided, I wish to do good and I have a desire to see and discover. 

I did travel for 1 year and met people that did it for a decade, or maybe 3-4-5-6 years in a row, working odd jobs or being digital nomads. Do you think those are years well spent? 

I honestly can't conceive of a better way to spend time, since I don't know what I want to master. It's the exploraration process at its finest

I'm interested in your thoughts

Traveling is good, but in my experience you will eventually hit diminishing returns in terms of growth. You’ll most likely want to settle some where and plant roots.

The plus is that traveling can expose you to new experience to help you find out what your interests are. So if you feel you just lack experience, this is a good choice.

The negative is that traveling won’t really let you commit to anything too deeply. And all the new options you are presented with can actually become overwhelming. So be aware of that. 

Great way to grow in my experience. Did the digital nomad thing for 1.5 years on and off.

Taught me that living in an apartment for $80 in Thailand for the rest of your life isn't as good as I thought it was xD

It was awesome at the time though, because that's what I wanted.

Made friends that I still have today, and valuable connections.

Crazy experiences.

Learned how to be independent.

Going broke overseas was a big wake-up call.

Learned much about stress and asking for help.

Dating experience greatly increased.

Learned the basics of spanish.

Learned street smarts and the value of reading people.

At some point though it does indeed decline in terms of overall ROI in your life.

Mark Manson mentions this.

After you've been to enough countries, it all becomes the same.

You'll also realize you can't establish roots anywhere and may eventually yearn for that like most.

But for 1-2 years I think it's a high growth activity.