noticeom

Psychedelic Noob

11 posts in this topic

Ok, so, I've been on the fence about experimenting with psychedelics for years now. I've had a serious daily meditation and contemplation practice for over 6 years now. Gone on various retreats. And all that led me to a handful of awakening experiences. Still working on taking it deeper, and embodiment.

My logic has always been; if I've been doing this without psychedelics, then what's the point? But I've been revisiting some of Leo's videos on psycheldelics, and doing more research and starting to seriously consider diving into it. Hoping it can speed up the process that is already in motion.

Through some research I've read, and listened to psychedelic nerds talk about deep awakened states and it seems like they fail to recognize the significance of their experiences.

So I have two main questions.

• Do you really think psychedelics are necessary?
  • How could you distinguish a psychedelic hallucination from a deep realization of absolute truth?

And I know I really just have to see for myself. Which is why I think I'm going to try LSD soon for the first time. But just want to hear what people think.

Just now, noticeom said:
  • Do you really think psychedelics are necessary?

They're necessary if you're not naturally spiritually gifted and struggle even believing that higher order truths can be experienced directly. Psychedelics in that case offer you a direct insight which is orders of magnitude more impactful than any faith.

Just now, noticeom said:
  • How could you distinguish a psychedelic hallucination from a deep realization of absolute truth?

Like comparing a toy excavator to a real excavator. Psychedelics are stepping stones and nothing more. You're gonna get a lot of answers in this thread glorifying them, people claiming how they're necessary for spiritual growth, and how you can't even grasp enlightenment without them. I would be very wary of such opinions. If you abuse them they are nothing more than blind alleys, they will make you feel enlightened but at the end of the day you'll face the world as you always have, unenlightened and frustrated. In my humble opinion, meditation is an infinitely more powerful tool for spiritual growth.

@noticeom If you're having genuine awakenings from meditation then psychedelics may not be as necessary for you as others. Buts thats no reason to not experiment and test the waters. It will likely improve the quality of your psychedelic experiences. 

They're necessary for some people because some people likely don't have the spiritual 'genetics' to have non-psychedelic awakenings. Although ultimately this distinction between non-psychedelic and psychedelic awakenings dissolves.

9 minutes ago, noticeom said:

How could you distinguish a psychedelic hallucination from a deep realization of absolute truth?

An actual realisation of absolute Truth is utterly unmistakable and undeniable. There is no doubt. One does not realise Absolute Truth and then wonder whether it was a hallucination or not. It is beyond debate, beyond thinking, beyond doubt, beyond scepticism, and certainly beyond any kind of visual distortion or 'hallucination'. Infinity is Infinity. You either get it or you don't. To ask your question is to misunderstand what a realisation of Absolute Truth entails. It's not something that is understood by mind in a rational, linear way. Totally beyond that.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Space Ok this helps thanks! I've had the utterly undeniable realizations so I get that. But was just thinking that if you experience something that was drug induced it might be deniable. There's the question, "what if it was just the drug?" or, "what if the undeniable quality was also just the drug?"

Experiencing deep awakenings totally sober there is literally nothing to deny in that way. Appreciate the response :)

Do you really think psychedelics are necessary?

Is a hammer necessary to build a house? 

How could you distinguish a psychedelic hallucination from a deep realization of absolute truth?

Space answered that one pretty well.
What I want to add is the following: Do some inquiry on the nature of hallucinations. Then look at your question again. 

Also, if you dont already know this: 
https://thethirdwave.co/psychedelics/ - great site for psychodelic information! 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"If your non-dual teaching has no place for duality than you really just have a dualistic teaching.”
- A.H Almaas

@undeather Yes love that inquiry tip. This is one of the main reason I'd like to try psychedelics!

And thanks for the link i'll check it out!

@noticeom the psychedelic you take and the environment you're in all make a big difference, too. 

"You Create Magic" 

@Flowerfaeiry That's what I hear! Drugs have always freaked me out, so I'm trying to be very cautious about everything.

46 minutes ago, noticeom said:

@Space Ok this helps thanks! I've had the utterly undeniable realizations so I get that. But was just thinking that if you experience something that was drug induced it might be deniable. There's the question, "what if it was just the drug?" or, "what if the undeniable quality was also just the drug?"

Experiencing deep awakenings totally sober there is literally nothing to deny in that way. Appreciate the response :)

I think you're confusing mild psychedelic states with Infinite Consciousness. Sure, with mid-level psychedelic trips, and with some chemicals, you can delude yourself in many different ways. I've personally never had that experience, of doubting myself or doubting the validity of a psychedelic experience, insight etc (whatever that means). But i'm sure it can happen.

The "what if it was just the drug" thing actually dissolves at a high enough 'level'/ certain state of consciousness. It becomes very clear that there is no person to take the psychedelic, no brain mixing with a chemical and actually no psychedelic at all. That is all a 'past' story or construct that is created/imagined within Eternity/Infinity. It's totally constructed out of nothing. No chemical can create or cause Actual Infinite God. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Space Ah I see. That makes sense. Thank for the input! Ultimately I think I'm pretty set on getting into it at this point.