Adodd

An important discussion for anyone taking supplements.

9 posts in this topic

Supplements cause more acute liver failure cases than all other reasons combined. Workout and weight loss supplements are the main culprits and a lot of even the big brands also contain heavy metals like arsenic and lead . RESEARCH your supps!

On 16/07/2021 at 10:10 PM, Adodd said:

Supplements cause more acute liver failure cases than all other reasons combined.

What's your source? I agree many supplements can be contaminated with microscopic doses of heavy metals but as far as I know major causes of liver failure is acute viral hepatitis and drug-induced hepatitis. There are also other sources like Budd-Chiari syndrome, Wilson disease, acute food sepsis (e.g. eating wrong mushrooms), autoimmune hepatitis etc. If you come to the hospital with acute liver failure, it is usually really easy to find out what caused it on blood tests. 

However you may be right that many supplements are neither registered with any governing body nor treated in accordance with any rigorous protocols especially in developing countries. Historically certain brands like Hydroxycut have been suspected for a few cases of liver problems but these products are quickly pulled of the market. Saying that they cause more ALF than all hepatitis together (e.g. hundreds of thousands of cases) seems a bit bold claim 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Guess we were actually both wrong. "prescription and over-the-counter drugs (OTC) and dietary supplements cause more acute liver failure cases than all other reasons combined" acetaminophen is the most common of these drugs so your right not over half. Thank you for pointing that out. Still an important talk. One study of over 100 different suppulements finds 55% of products are contaminated with toxins like BPA and they virtually all contained heavy metals! 

6 hours ago, Adodd said:

Guess we were actually both wrong. "prescription and over-the-counter drugs (OTC) and dietary supplements cause more acute liver failure cases than all other reasons combined" acetaminophen is the most common of these drugs so your right not over half. Thank you for pointing that out. Still an important talk. One study of over 100 different suppulements finds 55% of products are contaminated with toxins like BPA and they virtually all contained heavy metals! 

interesting, seems the issues with shitty sport supplements is much worse than I thought so point taken on that 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 8/2/2021 at 5:52 AM, Adodd said:

@Adodd  This is why it is important to buy from companies that conduct in-house and third-party testing. With each lot being tested (sample testing is not enough), and that provide a certificate of analysis upon request. If you do that, then you need not worry about contamination. Supplements have actually greatly improved my health.

@Twega

On 8/3/2021 at 5:58 AM, Twega said:

@Adodd  This is why it is important to buy from companies that conduct in-house and third-party testing. With each lot being tested (sample testing is not enough), and that provide a certificate of analysis upon request. If you do that, then you need not worry about contamination. Supplements have actually greatly improved my health.

are you taking workput supps? I am taking vitamins I just do research first but am havong a tougher time finding any third party testing info on preworkouts and protien powders. I'm specifically interested in avoiding heavy metals and BPA because I will probably be taking them fairly long term.

Edited by Adodd

So the most reasonable action to take is to buy from brands that actually prove their products safe. The thing is that the FDA does not regulates if a product is safe or not, so some brands may not give a fuck wether their products are dangerous or not (or maybe they only do very superficial analyzes).

@EugeneTheSage What brand are you taking it from? I don't think it hurts you if the brand tested the product properly

Edited by Human Mint