DimmedBulb

Contemplating Death. I Think I'm Doing It Wrong.

14 posts in this topic

It's something I attempt to do every so often, but every time I seem to just freak out. I feel like blind fear shouldn't be the point of it. I could be wrong though. The sight of no one being there and nothing being written on a tomb stone spark a pretty strong emotional reaction. It sparks fear, which turns into brief motivation that's basically panic mode. That reaction usually results in shying away from trying it again and giving up on what I was doing, because the emotions are too much to handle. What am I missing?

Just progress.

29 minutes ago, DimmedBulb said:

It's something I attempt to do every so often, but every time I seem to just freak out. I feel like blind fear shouldn't be the point of it. I could be wrong though. The sight of no one being there and nothing being written on a tomb stone spark a pretty strong emotional reaction. It sparks fear, which turns into brief motivation that's basically panic mode. That reaction usually results in shying away from trying it again and giving up on what I was doing, because the emotions are too much to handle. What am I missing?

Strong emotional reaction is a Indicator your doing it just the way it's meant to be. 

Your little ego will do anything to survive I mean that's the job as a organism. Completely surrender to these emotions and see what happens :)

3 hours ago, Live Life Liam said:

Strong emotional reaction is a Indicator your doing it just the way it's meant to be. 

Your little ego will do anything to survive I mean that's the job as a organism. Completely surrender to these emotions and see what happens :)

A strong sense of grief is what I'm getting, which is weird because I generally don't care about people dying on me. I can think of like two other people that would give me that kind of response. No idea if that's useful information.

Just progress.

Suffering is scary to me but death not so much. Death is the beginning of another existence. We just don't know if it's better or worse. I'm curious to see what's next though. As far as being remembered, eventually everything will be forgotten so don't stress.

Try meditating and being in the moment. Dont think so much about the future. And chances are you might not die at all with the pace technology is advancing.

@Schulzy Now that would be scary. I'd rather die than live forever.

Edited by DimmedBulb

Just progress.

@DimmedBulb Whatever arises arises, but you want to look past the knee-jerk fear reaction and use this method to get perspective on your life.

If you will die, then what does that mean for how you should live life?

What is worth doing?

What isn't worth doing?

There lies the value of this method.

Working through the fear of death will require a much more serious effort than merely contemplating it. Fear of death is visceral. It can be overcome, but only through very serious consciousness work.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura At this point, the fear of death and the fear of failure are far greater than the desire to act upon that which I want to have done, which only makes the despair grow stronger. In reaction to that, the desires become obsessions, which isn't particularly healthy. And then the cycle starts all over again.

Just progress.

@DimmedBulb One strong mushroom trip or 5-meo trip would solve that problem.

You're stuck in a low-consciousness trance right now and you don't even know it yet. It's hard to break out of that without a kick in the ass (which psychedelics provide very nicely).

You've basically got two options with fear: face it head on, or keep running away for the rest of your life.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura No can do. I'm already on mind altering medication. And I can already tell I'm resisting the mere idea, so I reckon it wouldn't be particularly useful at this time. Aren't psychedelics like step 281 in relation to the process?

Just progress.

12 hours ago, DimmedBulb said:

Aren't psychedelics like step 281 in relation to the process?

Psychedelics (in this case I mean something like shrooms) can be one of the first steps in the process if you combine it with the necessary integration process (otherwise they will mostly just be intense experiences). It's just a more radical way to open you up then decades of mere meditation or normal consciousness work. It's like Martin said in the interview, you release a ton of energy and locked up emotions / tensions that you can then let go and integrate. This can be stressful and deep but at the same time speed up the process enormously.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@Azrael I'll solidify my meditation practice first, then get rid of those anti-depressants and then get going.

Just progress.