soos_mite_ah

Purple Cow/ Finding my Niche

6 posts in this topic

I just had a crazy (or maybe completely sane) idea about using spiral dynamics as a way to explain different aspects of society, culture, interpersonal relationships, and human behavior in general. I want to market this to young people who are interested in spirituality in a way that spiral dynamics doesn't seem like a dull, complicated model but something that is easy to understand and implement. 

Is my niche too specific? What else do I need to take into consideration? 

I get that I'm probably preaching to the choir on this forum but I would still love your thoughts.

Tbh, there is also a part of me that is nervous about speaking about these types of things with normies because I do see the limitations of spiral dynamics and how it can be used to justify awful things by people who are less conscious. 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

26 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I just had a crazy (or maybe completely sane) idea about using spiral dynamics as a way to explain different aspects of society, culture, interpersonal relationships, and human behavior in general. I want to market this to young people who are interested in spirituality in a way that spiral dynamics doesn't seem like a dull, complicated model but something that is easy to understand and implement. 

Is my niche too specific? What else do I need to take into consideration? 

I get that I'm probably preaching to the choir on this forum but I would still love your thoughts.

Tbh, there is also a part of me that is nervous about speaking about these types of things with normies because I do see the limitations of spiral dynamics and how it can be used to justify awful things by people who are less conscious. 

That's cool! Do you have any idea how you want to do it? Do you want to use art, create videos, public Speaking?

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

Pardon me as I rant about myself for a few paragraphs - 

I had a similar thought once. I thought my niche could be to "Help young straight men realize the virtues of SD stage green" - "virtues" including all things social justice but also including helping them to get in touch with their emotions, to help them be less forcefully opinionated, more open & listening, energy work, and helping them to feel firsthand the power of expanding your circle of concern outwards to others, etc.

And I thought that my medium could be youtube, since that way these guys can literally watch me embodying strength + happiness (instead of conceptually preaching at them through an article, not to mention our generation is addicted to youtube lmao). I thought I'd be in a unique position to cover this area of self-help/spirituality, as I've been that abrasive SD orange guy during my high school years. Also, I have the optics (straight male, capable of debating rationally if need be) to convince those very people who need help the most... orange hates listening to green. But maybe they'd listen to me lol.

And every day I hear more and more people (especially women, but also people like forestluv) complaining about the lack of feminine integration in the male populous... 

I'm personally still conflicted though, because in hindsight that vision is small-fry compared to my true potential. Teaching orange about green feels like babysitting when I could be building a rocket to mars. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, I don't have actual results in the social world yet so maybe I'll have to do some babysitting first.

---

Tl;dr - yes teaching SD is 100% valid, if not an excellent way to start out.

50 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Is my niche too specific?

Quite the opposite. You're far too broad.

Try to narrow it down to address a specific problem you see in this world.

Why you? And who's gonna listen to you? What specifically do they get out of it, and what does the world get out of it?

---

I also want to mention that you have one of the few journals on this site that I actively look forward to reading. I don't mean to box you into writing as a medium with this comment, rather just trying to point out that you have a unique strength.

More specifically, your strength isn't necessarily writing per se, but something more like presentation - you tend to dig deep consistently, because that's just who you are. You simultaneously showcase your "flaws" but then have a meta-awareness of how you're bullshitting yourself, and then you proceed to forgive and embrace. It's like watching Self-Love work being done in real time. Usually people only show the before-and-after (I'm guilty of this myself) but you're enthusiastic about the during.

I recommend therefore, that your LP should incorporate this strength - presenting to the world your during-process, as opposed to a stark before-and-after.

If you go forward with this advice, not everyone will come along for the ride (let's face it: many people just want a simple before-and-after), but your target audience will be 1000x more loyal to you, and I'd bet your impact and self-satisfaction will multiply likewise :)

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

@RendHeaven Honestly, I have no idea where I'm going with this as far as specifics go. I was thinking about making a website that is basically my journal in blog form. However, I was thinking of my content being more cohesive to a particular theme/niche. Spiral Dynamics seemed broad enough to where I can use it as a tool to analyze different social and cultural phenomenon but it also seemed niche enough for people to be like *wtf is spiral dynamics.*

I guess if I were to have a website, I would have a tab for my personal, on going journey, another tab explaining the basics of spiral dynamics in an short but entertaining way, another tab talking about self development/ spirituality, and another tab for social commentary/activism. 

I believe that I have a good grasp on spiral dynamics as a model. I have been studying/observing cultures, societies, and how it effects people for as long as I can remember (like my brain naturally looks at the world in those terms). A lot of it has to do with my personal life experience as someone who was raised by immigrant parents in a diverse community where I was surrounded by people who didn't come from the same background as me. This further extends into what I'm studying in college as well. I'm majoring in international relations with a minor in human rights. Both of these are really interdisciplinary majors and they are very social science heavy. 

One niche that I can come up with on the spot is how to deal with immigrant parents. I noticed that most children of immigrants at least in the U.S. tend to be very orange/ green while their parents are very blue. SD helped me figure out this aspect of my life really well and helped me mend and manage the family relationships I had while being able to let go of my frustrations I had with them because I understood where they came from a consciousness perspective. 

Basically what I'm trying to do is make things make more sense using spiral dynamics. I remember when I first found the model, I simply couldn't un see it from any type of public discourse or topic in general. Everything made more sense in a simpler way and I think that SD can quickly cut through the bs when it comes to a person's individual development or collective development. 

@SamC I'm planning on using writing as a medium since it is really easy for me to get into a flow state with it and I have found that really fulfilling growing up. I have thought of the YouTube/public speaking route but then in the process of doing that I realized I hated everything to do with creating videos and social media. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

3 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

these guys can literally watch me embodying strength + happiness

You could probably just do that now in your free time, whether it is your life purpose or not. I wouldn’t get hung up on having the right idea immediately.

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

2 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I guess if I were to have a website, I would have a tab for my personal, on going journey, another tab explaining the basics of spiral dynamics in an short but entertaining way, another tab talking about self development/ spirituality, and another tab for social commentary/activism. 

Bingo. Might as well try it... you're not alone...

On 6/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, flume said:

Also currently working on my website^_^ I'm in the process of transferring some of my posts from here to there. Ah, I'm excited. I'm glad that websites like squarespace exist. Makes it so easy for a noob like me to create a good looking website. I still need a logo and will have to spend some time thinking about branding. Will use the coming days to write a little bit about me and take some pictures. Cool beans!

---

@Bob Seeker On it :)

It's Love.