Javfly33

None of my spiritual experiences so far have demolished materialism

42 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Blackhawk said:

I don't believe our own consciousness is a hallucination. But the content of consciousness might be a hallucination.

It is in my estimation. That is why the existence of external reality cannot be trusted, at least certainly not how we see it.

If something is "like" something that cannot be what it is objectively. Since being "like" anything is reliant upon perceptions from sensory organs and so on.

E.g. look around your room. Look at something red. Red does not exist outside of your mind, to a materialist, what is actually "out there" is just frequency of light.

The brain is simply processing raw data that we can never access directly. There is no way to say the external world is like we think it is, or in fact if there even exists such a thing at all.

@Javfly33 Okay, I'll help. When metal rusts, do you say that the metal "died" or that it radically changed its state? Of course you say it changed, but what exactly is the "it"? Well it's the experience. The fact that there was experience did not die or go away, so that's what remained in the change. Why would this be any different for your body? Do the things that make up your body suddenly dissapear because you disintegrated? No, of course not. That idea still lives on the metaphysics that the soul is in your body, when in fact, the soul is your body. 

When you die, maggots eat you; the gasses in your body go up into the air; you fertilize the soil, etc. What else could it be, but a radical shift in experience? This was hard for me to accept, but science itself is based on studying the subjective human experience. The very foundation of it is to study the world through the senses, but the problem is that those senses are arbitrary to what is needed to survive through the process of natural selection. Other animals and organisms experience the world differently because time and space are experienced differently for them. This means an "objective" understanding of reality is humanly impossible because you are finite. 

It goes back to the age-old question; what is something beyond its quality? Nothing obviously because a "thing" implies quality to which there is only that, and it is subjective. Ponder it from that angle. 

Edited by Depersonilized
Grammer