Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SS10

Meditating with Music?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have recently picked up my meditation habit and recently meditated with appropriate mediation music and I enjoyed it. Is this something that is recomended or should I stick to non sound meditation? 

Replies will be much appreciated,

@SS10  Avoid using music.  Using gentle music is fine if you're using the meditation as a relaxation technique, but for training single-pointed concentration, developing insight etc music will hinder your progress.  Why do you think the most used meditation objects are the body, the breath and various other inner perceptible states?  Because those are always with you, always available.  If you meditate with music you'll simply come to rely on it, and when the music isn't there you'll struggle.

I have benefited from sources like Song of the Enchanting Wildwoods. They can resonate with Consciousness, and help you realize your true nature.

Still, silent meditation is profound. It develops the capacity for vigilance, in a world of turmoil. It tames the monkey mind. I see it as a spiritual workout. Meditate daily. It strengthens your ability to stay present, regardless of what happens around you.

When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering like the flame of a lamp in a windless place. In the still mind, in the depths of meditation, the Self reveals itself. Beholding the Self by means of the Self, an aspirant knows the joy and peace of complete fulfillment. Having attained that abiding joy beyond the senses, revealed in the stilled mind, he never swerves from the eternal truth. He desires nothing else, and cannot be shaken by the heaviest burden of sorrow.

- Bhagavad Gita 6:19

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@SS10 Great topic.  Glad you asked.  I have meditated both with music and without, and I personally prefer music.  I feel that it nicely sets the mood, compliments the peace that is experienced when resting as awareness.  I highly recommend anything by Kip Mazuy.  Here's a taste of what he offers:

@Moksha Love your posts.  You're one of the few influential people here who don't rely on psychedelics, which I appreciate.

If you do use music, I recommend minimalistic, soft ambient. Example:

Lull - Like a Slow River

Brian McBride - When The Detail Lost Its Freedom

It's really hard for the mind to hook itself onto this kind of music. I personally don't use the music as an anchor, I don't even listen to it. It's like the background sound of where you are meditating. And the peaceful flow of the music can help get into that trance like state. 

Thank you, @Beginner Mind ??

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.