Someone here

What's the root cause of suffering?

43 posts in this topic

Doesn’t being identified usually precede desiring? 
Also, is all suffering the same? 
I’ve copied and pasted the following several times in the forum. No one  has ever really commented on it one way or another.

Four types of suffering

For whatever it’s worth,,, 

Intentional suffering is sometimes referred to as Conscious suffering in the Fourth Way.

In Talks on Beelzebub's Tales, Bennett distinguishes four types of suffering - Unnecessary Suffering, Unavoidable Suffering, Voluntary Suffering and Intentional Suffering. Lets have a look at each of these to see if they can help our understanding:

The first is Unnecessary Suffering. This would be the type of suffering that we incur because of our unreasonable attitudes and expectations towards others, from our ill-will, hatred and rejection of others, from doubt, possessiveness, arrogance and self pity. In other words, suffering arising from our self-importance.

The second is Unavoidable Suffering. This would be the type of suffering that comes to us by accident or from events beyond our control, such as interpersonal conflicts, war, disaster, disease or death.

Third, we have Voluntary Suffering. This would be the type of suffering that we take upon ourselves in order to accomplish a personal aim, such as an athlete who disciplines himself to win a race, or a student who labours to get good grades.

And finally we have Intentional Suffering. According to Bennett, this would be the kind of suffering that we take upon ourselves in order to accomplish an impersonal or altruistic goal, one that is directed more towards service to others or to the Work, and not for any personal gain. Bennett assumes that this is what Gurdjieff meant by Intentional Suffering.

From an article on the second Conscious Shock 

https://www.endlesssearch.co.uk/philo_is_talk_ae2005.htm

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

How? This goes against our survival instinct. 

Well that is precisely the reason why everyone is not enlightened yet. It is to go so beyond your survival instinct, that u even fall in love with suffering, pain and death, how crazy is that? Just to understand a bit how radical is to be enlightened.

Because for suffering to exist you have to suffer suffering, it's the same with fear, to fear to exist, you have to fear the very own fear, fear and suffering are totally okay, it is the fear of fear and the suffering of suffering which mess it all up. Otherwise, they would just be the same as a hiccup, no big deal it will pass and moreover I intesely love the hiccup, it's natural, it's in fact lovely and beautiful.

You understood it perfectly, didn't u? Now try to embody it and live every second with this great truth:D

Well that is precisely the reason why everyone is not enlightened yet.

This is one of the reasons they say only insane people and lucky people get enlightened, because to live by this principle it is really one of the most insane realities I can even grasp.

@Zigzag Idiot I really enjoyed it, thanks for the wisdom. I think that no one commented it because when talking about suffering everyone wants to go to the root and not to the branches. So yeah that was super nice to understand it, but if i can understand that root principle from where all suffering is generated I would therefore understand all it's branches and not only this model of 4.