GroovyGuru

How do I balance pursuing LP/Career with other interests

4 posts in this topic

The last few months I have been working very hard studying web development and computer programming related topics. I am currently working part-time while investing anywhere between 3-6 hours everyday studying and practicing.

I have a clear vision for what I want in life and where I want to be, at least within the next 5-10 years, and I have been working incredibly hard and sacrificing a lot to get to this position within the next few months to a year. However, my dilemma is that I have SO many interests in my life and so many things I want to study and learn about and get involved in. These last few months I have given up a lot of things that I would normally engage in. 

Things like: daily exercise, taking nutrition seriously, reading books, meditating, watching interesting documentaries, staying up to date with politics, engaging on this forum etc...

Literally all I've done the last 4 months is work and study. And I have progressed an enormous amount because of it. I seriously feel like I'm making considerable strides towards my goal. But I really miss my other hobbies and feel that I'm stagnating in other areas where I want to grow.

For those who are pursuing a LP or career or have successfully done so already, did you have to make similar sacrifices? How did you deal with this? Where you able to pick up hobbies and interests when your goal was eventually met? In reality, of course I already know sacrifices are going to have to be made if I want to achieve my goal in the timeframe I have set for myself. I guess I'm just curious about how others dealt with these sacrifices.

It boils down to this: What is really important?

If you are focused on what you want  (Career/LP, Health, Sleep, Friends) time will remove  everything that is unimportant. It's like water that eats through stone.

44 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

For those who are pursuing a LP or career or have successfully done so already, did you have to make similar sacrifices? How did you deal with this? Where you able to pick up hobbies and interests when your goal was eventually met?

To become a programmer I had to make a lot of sacrifices. Quit Weed. Quit hanging out with stupid people. Drop out of by Master-Class... I even had to sacrifice health and sleep for some time.

Let me tell you this: It can't be endured for long. Without Health you gain nothing. Without People Success means nothing. But my life is way harder compared to the life of my friends or peers.. You get used to the suck of it and it's a really good feeling to work through some barrier.

f71a48cb946f2bece1aebf8324b10385.jpg

If you neglect your health it's gonna bite you in the ass. Consider taking out 1h of your work to eat nutritious food and exercise.

1h is plenty enough to cook something healthy and do 100 push-ups + running 10min or something.

Plus you're going to be WAY more focused and productive during the remaining work hours.

Your practice actually becomes shit if you are over doing it and you neglect the basic human stuff.

Sailing on the ceiling 

My opinion is that you should start with family.  Get all of your family relationships in order first.  Next health the healthier you are the more confident you will feel to be more of a take control individual.  Surround yourself with like minded people. An outstanding quote from The Billion Dollar Man himself Dan Pena "show me your friends, and ill show you your future".  Look him up by the way OUTSTANDING individual. I've watched several of his speeches I could listen to that guy talk for hours. One program he recommends is the genie script. The video is completely free and its a terrific watch.  I'll leave you the link here.

https://bit.ly/3zJiee p  {remove the space between the (e) and the (p)} 

So once you get your family relationships in order and start to work on yourself physically, surround yourself with people who are already where you want to be. That is the #1 way to learn new things, it may be a little uncomfortable at first, but if comfort is what you are looking for just stay home on the couch right? The new concepts you will learn by seeing the world through the eyes of people who are already where you want to be is beyond explanation.  Then after you learn from these new surrounding and new folks focused on climbing from where they already are you will realize how possible your dreams really are. 

Good Luck my Friend and God Bless