solo

How Is Smoking Marijuana Preventing Me From Making Progress Towards Self-actualization?

29 posts in this topic

Hello all,

As you saw in the title, I am wondering how smoking pot is preventing me from becoming a self-actualized individual.

I've been watching one Actualized.org video every day and continuously hear Leo discourage the use of marijuana. I believe he says this because using mind-altering drugs is forcing your mind to produce mood-enhancing chemicals in an unnatural way. I recently watched one of his videos on happiness, where he describes happiness as being content in your natural state without distraction, and it's really helped me become more aware of how my ego is constantly in search of something to distract me from that natural state. I think pot is one of those distractions for me.

My SO and I have been daily smokers for over three years (starting when we were 19/20), and I've only recently begun to question its impact on my mind and overall well-being. Because of this, I've cut down on my usage and only take one very small hit at night to help calm/relax me. Unfortunately, we've also begun to incorporate nightly drinks into the mix, and I'm afraid of setting myself up for an unhealthy routine that is hard to kick. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is not on this self-actualization journey with me, so he is a bad influence when it comes to encouraging me to take a hit or a shot to unwind.

I've recently started to meditate daily and believe I am beginning to see the benefits it brings to my life. I am also trying to incorporate positive affirmations into my thoughts, staying positive when things are bad, stop worrying, etc., but I am afraid that my current nightly habits may be "undoing" my overall progress of feeling better mentally and emotionally in the long-run.

In addition to my question above, do I have to stop smoking/drinking completely in order to see progress on my journey of becoming self-actualized? Or can I do them once in a while, like on weekends?

Thanks for listening. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Edited by solo

The most well known stereotype that stoners deal with is that we’re lazy. We smoke too much bud to do anything but sit around and stare off in to space. Fortunately for us, that’s not the truth anymore. Potheads have worked very hard in order to negate that stereotype and we have done a very good job of it. Stoners have managed to infiltrate almost every career path, from retail to engineering. Stoners work far harder than anyone at excelling because the bar has been set so high. No pun intended.

The first step to being a productive pothead is knowing how to handle yourself when you’re sober and when you’re stoned. Being able to function in both states of mind is key, although there are some people who are only able to function extremely well when they are high. You should be able to tell when you’ve smoked enough, whether or not you can handle being high at work, and if being stoned while on the job is safe for you and your coworkers. By knowing your limits and exhibiting self control, one can smoke and hold at job, while sometimes even excelling. It goes back to the very popular saying “If you’re lazy when you smoke weed, you were lazy before you smoked”.

Marijuana is a privilege. The plant should be used to make life better, rather than to hinder it. If you can’t smoke and be productive, then you really shouldn’t be smoking. Self control is extremely important, just as important as debunking the lazy stoner” stereotype. We are not lazy and it sure is offensive to be called as such. I love Actualized.org & I have learned a lot from what Leo has to say, however he's one of the last people I would take advise from when it comes to weed. There are some stoners that work harder than any of the people around them, smokers and non smokers alike. Proving that we are productive and motivated will only further marijuana acceptance.

main point is, keep your balance at all times & learn how to function straight or sober.

SWJR420  O.o

Well, if somewhere inside you yourself label smoking as a bad thing, then yes, its bad for your ego, as you might be unconsciously judging yourself as a bad person whenever you smoke. This is self-sabotage. And this I think would hold you back a lot, and will not let your true potential to be unleashed. 

I agree and disagree with that perspective.  You can still self-actualize and smoke.  But, you have less incentive to do so because smoking can bring you to a state of happiness without any of the hard work.  It's a kind of cheat code that doesn't force you to work for your happiness as much.  That was my problem with smoking.  If I ever start smoking again it would probably be used almost strictly 30 mins to an hour before bedtime.  It's a real problem if you're getting high all day for sure though. 

Here is an interesting perspective: 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

I think when it crosses the line from being for 'fun' to feeling like you need to have it for any reason, you gotta figure that out so it doesn't become a problem. And I feel that's true for any sort of altering substance. 

There's no good or bad about it in itself. Neutral. It's how an individual uses that matters. 

I was a pretty heavy smoker for awhile and it did amazing things for my mind and spirituality at first. Then I got to the point of using it to escape reality, and found myself rationalizing smoking more and more. Luckily, right when I realized it was becoming a hindrance to my growth, I got pregnant and I quit. It's been nice to realize that I'm not dependent on it to be spiritual and a thinker in the way that I was while high, because I can do all that and more sober now. 

Everything in moderation.

The problem with daily pot smoking with respect to self-actualization is it's preventing you from seeing and experiencing reality as it is.  Smoking pot is fun, harmless, and so on.  But self-actualization is a journey of developing higher awareness and seeking truth in reality.  This truth is in all of the experience of life, not in a repeated chemically induced state.

On 2/11/2016 at 6:31 AM, Adam G said:

The problem with daily pot smoking with respect to self-actualization is it's preventing you from seeing and experiencing reality as it is.  Smoking pot is fun, harmless, and so on.  But self-actualization is a journey of developing higher awareness and seeking truth in reality.  This truth is in all of the experience of life, not in a repeated chemically induced state.

Isn't every state chemically induced? I would say using cannabis does not have to prevent you from anything (just like coffee for example), it all depends on your intentions and motives, and the actions you take while high. If you take cannabis to escape reality and all you do is sit on the couch watching television while high, it's guaranteed you're not making much progress on your spiritual path (or any other path for that matter, you just keep getting better at watching television, which of course is fine also, if the best television watcher of the world is something you really want to be). But it's really the sitting on the couch and doing nothing aspect which prevents you.

I don't think pot is bad, unless it become an addiction, and although addiction with pot is rare, it's real and dependency on any kind of substance whether it be video games, ciggerettes, pot, food, other various drugs; can backfire if it becomes a crutch and isn't self actualizing. I guess you gotta ask yourself, is this something that is motivating me to be the best I can be? Or is it hindering me? Am I benefitting anything at all from this? Or is this just a distraction?

In your post you are clearly aware of this and I think you know the answer. Smoking on weekend with your friends I think isn't sinister. But I also think you can still have fun without it. Especially in the long term.

How was life before you started smoking pot? It was fun, right?And you can still enjoy yourself without it. Once you decide to quit pot completely, you will see the benefits ;) plus all that time smoking pot can turn into peaceful walks in the park, playing outdoors, reading a book, getting into nature, hiking, fitness, you name it. Which is so much more rewarding for your overall wellbeing, trust me. Good luck!!

you don't want to limit the mind to any perception but choice is part of attention so you can guide your own wellbeing.

7 hours ago, ttm said:

Isn't every state chemically induced?

Sure, I could have qualified that statement as 'externally' induced.  And let's be honest here, getting stoned is hell of alot funner and perceptionally more gratifying than drinking coffee.  I think you're correct in that the effects of getting high (i.e., laziness) are the primary evidence that pot is growth limiting.

But I think there is a further argument that pot prevents personal growth.  Because there are ever increasing levels of personal growth.  I do speak from experience on this one.  I smoked daily for years, while having a career as an engineer, exercising daily (most times while high), and raising a couple kids.  I was perfectly functional as a habitual pot smoker.  But habitual use for me, was limiting.  I'd ask, how can you open your mind and view this reality from new vantage points, new angles, and produce new insights while viewing it through the same controlled (and distorted) lenses?  That's what getting high gives you, a dependable, consistent, and yes, euphoric, mental disposition.  And again, I'm emphasizing habitual pot use with regard to personal growth.  I would propose getting high from time to time is a good thing for most people, as it does produce new and creative thought patterns.  But on my journey, I've leaned on pot use less and less. 

I smoked weed just about every day for a few years. I've recently made some structural changes in my life and I am now more aligned with my authenticity. Since these changes, I've had no deep desire or cravings to smoke. I realize now that my main reason for smoking was to escape reality and change my state. I think marijuana can be a useful tool for personal growth but it can also be a hinderance if you are not careful. It was useful for the fact that it allowed me to think completely differently. While high, I would feel completely aware and conscious of my own thoughts and emotions. I also had heightened empathy, as I was able to feel other peoples' vibes and emotions. Or perhaps I was just more receptive to energy. My thoughts were also more profound and insightful. I believe marijuana helped me discover who I am. I can also see the ways in which it held me back by distracting me. In the future, I will most likely continue to use it as a spiritual tool. However, I will limit myself to very occasional use.

It can help with certain illnesses, but limited. You can even reach samadhi with certain type of drugs but it won`t last long.

There`s always a chance that it will harm your nervous-system and that`s too much of a danger.

In the end self-developing is about independance and freedom so I would suggest to get rid of it.

15 hours ago, Adam G said:

I think you're correct in that the effects of getting high (i.e., laziness) are the primary evidence that pot is growth limiting.

Yeah, well, I didn't say that. I did say that if you spend your life laying on the couch and watching tv, you don't get very far on your spiritual journey regardless of whether you was under the influence of cannabis or not. Which would be the primary evidence for that watching tv is growth limiting, but it isn't actually evidence of anything, just statements.

But this is starting to feel too much like defending daily pot smoking, which is not my intention. I wouldn't recommend daily pot smoking, but given arguments for it being inevitably preventing has been in my opinion very questionable.

@Henri What do you mean by saying "there's a change that it will harm your nervous-system"? If you're still talking about cannabis, I haven't heard of its possibly harmful effects to nervous system, so it would be interesting to learn more about this.

@ttm  A lot of problems can come out of a damaged nervous-system by taking cannabis. Well known are symptoms like `visual snow` and hearing all kind of noises inside your own head. These symptoms can remain the rest of your life and are a terrible burden for any self-developing track.

I believe if used for the right intent cannabis can be a useful tool for revealing you to yourself. Meditating a little before consuming and setting the intent and what you want to get out of it could help. If you don't and just consume without an intent then I think the unconscious mind will decide for you so to speak. Such as revealing all your biggest fears to you in order to get you to face them. That also seems fine in its own right but I think with most peoples egos once that happens they think "this stuff is scary get it away from me it's not helping!" And you know how much the ego loves to run from its problems and pretend they are not there. But that's just my current interpretation. :) 

@Henri Sounds like "argument from widely believed facts" and is presented in needlessly intimidating way even if the claim actually was factually correct.

Yeah well, I`m not belonging to the political correctness people and I`m dutch speaking.

Dutch and cannabis may ring a bell? Though the knowledge about it came from my Guru and I didn`t even mention the dangers for your pranamaya kosha and your chakra`s.

There`s one rare exception developing yourself and use cannabis and that`s in Bengal and Orissa in India where there is a Kali cult the Jnani way. They do lots of weird stuff the dark way. Anyway that`s not for the sensitive ones.

@Henri  I meant that it could be harmful if psychedelic drug is taken and mind starts to ask questions like "what if I damaged my nervous system now, it surely feels very weird, and now I remember that dude on the Internet said that it would happen" etc.

But so I thought that the information didn't come from clinical studies or other scientific research. Do you really trust your guru so much that you don't check anything he says from external sources?

What bell you hoped that dutch-thing would ring?