karkaore

Depersonalization/derealization and awareness

4 posts in this topic

I've been contemplating what depersonalization/de-realization is and I wanna share where my efforts are leading me so far.

Here is a description of depersonalization/de-realization from wiki:

"Depersonalization-derealization disorder is a mental disorder in which the person has persistent or recurrent feelings of depersonalization or derealization. Depersonalization is described as feeling disconnected or detached from one's self. Individuals may report feeling as if they are an outside observer of their own thoughts or body, and often report feeling a loss of control over their thoughts or actions. Derealization is described as detachment from one's surroundings. Individuals experiencing derealization may report perceiving the world around them as foggy, dreamlike/surreal, or visually distorted."

Depersonalization is described as feeling disconnected or detached from one's self. Derealization is described as detachment from one's surroundings.

I sit down to meditate. I watch my breath. I become more aware of my thoughts, feelings. In a sense, I detach myself from the thought/feeling. I "zoom out" and see thoughts/feelings more clearly. So what am I doing there, exactly? Am I not "depersonalizing/derealizing" in a sense? Isn't this the "endgoal" of spirituality? To lose yourself only to find yourself again?

If I'm an individual who didn't have any awakenings, has no clue nor interest in knowing, living my normal life, I don't know anything else. I am "depersonalized/derealized", only I am not aware of it. Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by karkaore

Also I hope people understand that “going meta” doesn’t mean detach yourself from reality

@karkaore DP/DR differs from apparent enlightenment. With enlightenment there is only void. With DP/DR there is a terrifying glitch in the appearance wherein one is made aware of the centerlessness of what appears. In apparent enlightenment no one is there that could be made aware of anything.