Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RMQualtrough

Reality and dreams are equally real... But how about cartoons?

8 posts in this topic

There is something about the way I am viewing the distinctions here which is tripping me up on this one thing specifically.

If someone can "Explain Like I'm 5", it makes perfect sense to me to call dreams and reality equally real. But when for example I consider "is Johnny Bravo real?" or "is the town of South Park real?" it seems different somehow. Then I cannot help but think of it as merely the colours and shapes, and the fact that character does not have an egoic existence.

It seems different to me than a real person.

35 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

Then I cannot help but think of it as merely the colours and shapes, and the fact that character does not have an egoic existence.

What if you started thinking about reality the same way. What are dreams and reality fundamentally?

12 minutes ago, universe said:

What if you started thinking about reality the same way. What are dreams and reality fundamentally?

Appearances inside -insert preferred term-. Some things appear to not have an ego though, Johnny Bravo seems to speak and have a personality, but we assume that he is not having any relative experience of existence which most of us possess.

You mean he is not conscious and doesn't think. Well, what is with your parents for example. Are they conscious and do they think?

4 hours ago, universe said:

You mean he is not conscious and doesn't think. Well, what is with your parents for example. Are they conscious and do they think?

I think so, they have thoughts made by the brain - the brain is made of God and God observes the thoughts that arise. Is it right to say Johnny Bravo is as real of a "personality" as me? Or at least, in infinity is there a Johnny Bravo somewhere existing who does have a relative egoic experience?

When a person dies, when we think about that dead person, it then seems they are only as real as a cartoon character, even though they once existed in this world we call real. In imagination the things seem the same.

1 minute ago, RMQualtrough said:

I think so, they have thoughts made by the brain - the brain is made of God and God observes the thoughts that arise. Is it right to say Johnny Bravo is as real of a "personality" as me? Or at least, in infinity is there a Johnny Bravo somewhere existing who does have a relative egoic experience?

When a person dies, when we think about that dead person, it then seems they are only as real as a cartoon character, even though they once existed in this world we call real. In imagination the things seem the same.

Cartman is more real to me than your Mom.

:D 

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

23 hours ago, RMQualtrough said:

I think so, they have thoughts made by the brain - the brain is made of God and God observes the thoughts that arise.

How do you know?

10 minutes ago, universe said:

How do you know?

Benefit of the doubt. Else it's Solipsism if I disbelieve thoughts are happening simultaneously to my own.

If someone has a DREAM of Johnny Bravo, it feels to me that he is then given life as the personality and character is sentient rather than something like a rock or bunch of blobs.

Either way I recognize we create a concept of Johnny Bravo, where he ends and the background begins etc. It just feels different to me.

I would enjoy if Johnny Bravo was as real of a person as me, and South Park as real as Paris or some shit.

Edited by RMQualtrough