Clems

Is it ok to sleep after meditating

4 posts in this topic

I always wanted to ask this question, because sometimes when I finish meditating I feel tired and I sleep after, should i meditate one more time after woking up or it’s just okay?

Thank you

If you feel tired when meditating, it simply means you didn't sleep enough or that you're meditating on a full stomach. Get enough sleep and meditate 2-3hrs after a meal. You should also not meditate for longer periods at night as it will make you less tired.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

16 hours ago, Clems said:

I always wanted to ask this question, because sometimes when I finish meditating I feel tired and I sleep after, should i meditate one more time after woking up or it’s just okay?

Thank you

I feel like the only thing you want to avoid is to train yourself to sleep after meditation, like you don't want to habitualise meditating and getting sleepy and then sleep. So after meditation if yiu feel tired, go brush your teeth and chill for 15 min, then go to sleep. You just don't want to train yourself to get sleepy everytime yiu meditate. Pavlov dog type scenario.

16 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

If you feel tired when meditating, it simply means you didn't sleep enough or that you're meditating on a full stomach. Get enough sleep and meditate 2-3hrs after a meal. You should also not meditate for longer periods at night as it will make you less tired.

there are many different possibilities behind why this is coming up that is very much unique to you that may not be as obvious as you think on the surface. First off, it’d be useful to know what kind of meditation you’re doing as “meditation” itself doesn’t really say anything. If you’re devoting a lot of time to say single pointed concentration practice where you unwaveringly, with great discipline, keep your focus on a single object such as the breath or a candle flame or a mantra or whatever unceasingly for a certain duration of time, it may just be the case that you’re mind is getting tired and exhausted as concentration practice can get taxing. Another common, yet hard to recognize, could be that it’s actually a psychosomatic symptom, that feels very genuine, that arises as a form of resistance because you actually, unconsciously, don’t want to do the practice. So it can be a subtle form of resistance. If it’s the former (cognitive fatigue), sure, resting after your sit can be just fine. That said, it could very much be the latter even if it really doesn’t seem like it. If it is something unconscious, you wouldn’t know would you? ;) Should it be unconscious though, which usually takes feedback from a solid teacher to spot (since you can’t see your own blind spots otherwise they wouldn’t be blind spots) , I would highly recommend actually paying attention to what that resistance is saying. Decode it. Understand it. What does it want? For this I would recommend psychoanalysis should you be serious about dissolving the resistances on the spiritual path as they arise (and they will undoubtedly arise).