r0ckyreed

Screen Addiction Help and Solutions

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I have been dealing with screen addiction a.ka. technology addiction, internet addiction, etc., where I have been craving to play video games, play chess games on chess.com or watch James Bond movies to get a dopamine hit.  I have been avoiding much of the spiritual work of contemplation/meditation and I have been avoiding my Life Purpose and my ambitious passions to exercise and kaizen my knowledge.  

I am just curious if anyone has gone through, is currently going through, or has beaten their screen addiction?

What solutions have been most helpful to you?

Here are some of the solutions I have considered:

(1) selling all my games (although, I feel so attached to them and selling them won't get rid of the addiction because I will still have movies and my phone)

(2) doing a meditation retreat all day (I have not tried this yet and I plan on doing it soon before I get busy)

(3) Doing more activities outdoors in nature

(4) Make a star chart and reward my behaviors to control my impulses

(5) put screen timers

The issue with screen addiction is that screens are a normalized part of our world today.  Everything and all knowledge and accessibilities is on technology and technology is so accessible that it is a hard addiction to overcome.  I believe it is a real addiction despite it not being listed in the DSM.

I think the main causes of screen addiction for me are to escape the discomfort of spiritual and physical work and that I am addicted  to comfort.  

I appreciate your time and input.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

I'm a big internet addict, and I plan a 1 week retreat on an island without service. Eating what I can catch / Drinking with I can filter and so on. I've recently become more interested in learning survival. This retreat will include meditation and deep self-reflection because I have a lot of trauma controlling my life.

16 hours ago, Podie45 said:

I'm a big internet addict, and I plan a 1 week retreat on an island without service. Eating what I can catch / Drinking with I can filter and so on. I've recently become more interested in learning survival. This retreat will include meditation and deep self-reflection because I have a lot of trauma controlling my life.

Oh wow nice. Good luck on retreat mate.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

Awesome! I found the solution to my issue. 

I need to be out in nature more. I notice that I am in a more contemplative state in nature than I am indoors. I am connected more to my existence, which is true and makes sense.

The issue is that the mind makes excuses for not going outside such as Covid, bugs, fears, bad weather, etc. But overcoming and observing the minds rationalization is a good spiritual practice that can lead into the insights and the mechanisms of mind that keep the cycle of addiction going.

The key is not to abstain totally from technology as it’s not really possible in our world, but to be a conscious user of it as always. At least this is what I have found this far in my contemplation.

Download one of those apps that tells you how much time you spend on the screen each day and become really aware of it without trying to change it. 

"You Create Magic" 

Consider uninstalling your video games every time you finish playing. You can still play, but every time you want to play, you'll have to reinstall the game. This was honestly one of the most effective things that helped me get off video games. It increased the resistance to start playing again, so I wouldn't just easily start playing from impulse, but it's also not like I had to use my willpower to stop myself from playing.

If you use disks or play on a console, you can put your controller in a different room or take out the disk and put it back into the disc case. You could also unplug your console / PC every time you stop using it.

If you use a Laptop, put it on top of your wardrobe every time you finish using it. Same goes for your phone, put it on mute so you won't use it when you don't need it. 

Also, don't get on the screen the moment you wake up / come home. Meditate or work out first. 

And obviously, if you'll reduce your screen time, you'll have to spend that time some other way. So plan what you want to use that new won time on, else you'll just fall into the next low conscious addiction.

@Flowerfaeiry @Godhead

Thank you so much for your inputs and insights!  These are so helpful! Thank you so much!

:D