Logan

Public Speaking & Toastmasters

7 posts in this topic

One of the skills I need to master for my life purpose is public speaking. Once restrictions are lifted, I am going to join/start a local toastmasters group. I have attended as a guest before, but I'm curious about other's experience's with the organization and ways that I can prepare. I am going to start writing speeches & I already record myself speaking to improve posture, body language, voice projection, etc. I'm curious what helped you guys and gals the most with building this skill, what your preparation is like, and how long it took you become proficient at it. 

Current habits I'm working to incorporate:

-Writing

-Contemplating my speech for deeper understanding of material

-Recording myself

-Studying great speakers

-Reading about topics I plan to talk about

It was a great experience..

I got my mentor and he helped me the most .. we used to meat outside of toastmaster  in pubs and than we practice speaking in parks.

Choose wisely who your mentor gonna be.

Just participate in everything, improvisations, speeches try to talk to everyone and push yourself.

I was so uncomfortable but it helped me a lot after like 5 months.

Invest into some good quality books to really get the fundamentals of speech construction. Toastmasters is good for providing advice on gestures and style in my opinion. It is also a nice place to learn and try new things out with a live audience. Keep in mind too that there will be a lot of armatures in the groups. Not that you can't learn stuff from them, but if you are getting your advice from just newbies you are not going to progress fast and in some cases even pick up bad habits. 

You could actually join an online meeting now with people really anywhere in the world since it is mostly online. If you were looking to get a taste and feel for it would be a good start for someone just starting. 

@Logan Check out the book Presenting to Win by Jerry Wessman. This would save you from a lot of BS that toastmasters does for a speech structure wise. If you start with his techniques first you would progress much faster. Depends what you want though. This book covers a lot on structure. I read it like a normal book, but jumped around when I was actually applying something. So when you are working on a opener of a speech go to that chapter for example. 

Edited by Average Investor

Be consistent with attending meetings and doing speeches. 

"You Create Magic" 

@Average Investor Alright I'll check that one out for sure. Appreciate it.

@Flowerfaeiry Will do. I may eventually join multiple clubs to accelerate my skill development and receive feedback from more perspectives. Thanks ;)