Tim R

Interview with a 108 y/o

6 posts in this topic

"Nothing is the same, everything is changed"

She was born in 1869 and lived to be 112. This is crazy... I think we could learn a great deal from old people. Too bad that in western society, we see them mostly as a burden. They truly know about impermanence.

I think age gives you some kind of wisdom which you can only get through age and no other technique would work. 

What do you think?

@Tim R

5 hours ago, Tim R said:

She was born in 1869 and lived to be 112. This is crazy... I think we could learn a great deal from old people. Too bad that in western society, we see them mostly as a burden. They truly know about impermanence.

I think age gives you some kind of wisdom which you can only get through age and no other technique would work. 

What do you think?

They can offer some value in sharing their perspective on what they have experienced. That can be useful learning past mistakes and insights can occur in you when you are talking and receiving their wisdom.

It's also amazing that some people could live past 100.

8 hours ago, Tim R said:

What do you think?

It's a disgrace and an insult to human intelligence.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

11 hours ago, Tim R said:

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

13 hours ago, Eternal Unity said:

@Eternal Unity What do you mean?

@Eternal Unity

16 hours ago, Eternal Unity said:

If you meant how the interviewer handled the questions as a disgrace and insult to human intelligence, then yes she could've asked more question to flesh out the historic context of her Era and the 108 year old woman's life. If you meant it's a disgrace and an insult to human intelligence when a 108 year old woman should've answered better, or had the insight that 'nothing is the same, everything is changed' but after living for over a hundred years, then god help you. because there's such a thing as being limited by the environment and available information in the ecology.