Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phyllis Wagner

Gödel Escher Bach - worth it to read?

5 posts in this topic

I have this book on my shelf for some years now and I wonder if it is even worth it if the author does not care for spirituality and is a materialist. This would not be a problem usually, but this book wants to answer questions of consciousness, so I wonder if I could even gain anything from working through this dense book, it might even be hindering me.

@Phyllis Wagner I've got it too but haven't read it yet either. Looks fascinating to me, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. So much to read Lols, it's taking me years Lols 

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

@Phyllis Wagner I've got it too but haven't read it yet either. Looks fascinating to me, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. So much to read Lols, it's taking me years Lols 

Yeah would be interesting to know if there is something to get out of it

If you are expecting something immediately practical out of it, you won't get that.

It is a work of art. It has to be appreciated like fine art.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

That book is basically like a colorful ball pit for analytically minded & mentally hyperactive nerds who enjoy cleverly crafted crossword puzzles - so if that's your cup of tea, then you might be in for a rare treat. I found it pretty original and funny initially but somehow lost interest around half way through... just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. ;)

Why so serious?