tatsumaru

Left-brain aversion

14 posts in this topic

Something happened in the 8th grade and I stopped caring for left-brain intensive activities. While I was always interested in holistic and systems thinking I became less and less interested in logical, math and abstract sort of thinking. As a result I feel quite asymmetrically developed with my right brain being way stronger than my left brain. Additionally I feel quite disinterested in math, logic, set theories, spatial reasoning, mental permutations, inference etc. And while that is the case I am starting to recognize that this is starting to become a significant weakness because I am becoming less and less capable of dealing with number crunching and computation in general. In my experience left brain thinking is mostly about discrimination and survival. It's like a scalpel. It turns the whole into parts and tries to reorganize them in clever ways, but at the end of the day it's just that. And while engineering is useful, no amount of concept shuffling will ever get you There. Because of this I find it hard to motivate myself to exercise my left brain. How can I rekindle my interest in my left-brain again so it doesn't deteriorate? Thanks.

30 minutes ago, tatsumaru said:

How can I rekindle my interest in my left-brain again so it doesn't deteriorate? Thanks.

Why?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

8 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Why?

Good question. I am not entirely ready to depart from this dimension I suppose. I want to contribute to society a little bit. This will require some engineering and math probably.

4 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

This will require some engineering and math probably.

No.

6 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

Good question. I am not entirely ready to depart from this dimension I suppose. I want to contribute to society a little bit. This will require some engineering and math probably.

The key skills to invest in are the soft skills: public speaking, erudition, debate, language, writing. The best areas where you can contribute to the future of society are in showing people the way.

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

59 minutes ago, Bodhitree said:

The key skills to invest in are the soft skills: public speaking, erudition, debate, language, writing. The best areas where you can contribute to the future of society are in showing people the way.

Find your life purpose. If that includes public speaking or math, pursue that.

47 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Find your life purpose. If that includes public speaking or math, pursue that.

Are you sure? Life purpose seems very much like goal setting. I think it’s better just to live your passion, without necessarily setting any goals. Do the things that give you joy, would be my general careers advice. But if you want to help the world, we could do with more passionate, articulate exemplars who are not in it for the money but for principles.

Edited by Bodhitree

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

2 hours ago, Bodhitree said:

Are you sure? Life purpose seems very much like goal setting. I think it’s better just to live your passion, without necessarily setting any goals. Do the things that give you joy, would be my general careers advice. But if you want to help the world, we could do with more passionate, articulate exemplars who are not in it for the money but for principles.

Goal setting is not incompatible with living your passion.

11 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Goal setting is not incompatible with living your passion.

There are disadvantages to goal setting in a diverse, open environment like human life. It tends to blinker you to opportunity, and it leads you to existential cliffs when those goals are achieved, to name just a couple. 

12 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:
  15 hours ago, Bodhitree said:

1 hour ago, Bodhitree said:

There are disadvantages to goal setting in a diverse, open environment like human life. It tends to blinker you to opportunity, and it leads you to existential cliffs when those goals are achieved, to name just a couple.

Don't hijack my thread with your nonsense please. You want to talk about life purpose or something else unrelated, take it to the DMs.

Edited by tatsumaru

18 minutes ago, tatsumaru said:

Don't hijack my thread with your nonsense please. You want to talk about life purpose or something else unrelated, take it to the DMs.

It is related but you can not see it

I'm in a similar situation as you. My holistic/ systemsthinking/ creativety thinking is really strong but I am less capable when it comes to logic.

I belive this boils down to me not being able to " think inside" logic  as good as someone who is more logical because that's not how people who are intuition oriented see the world.

Take empathy for example. Why can a mother who have lost her child " think inside" and identify better with another mother who have lost her child than you and me?

It obviously is due to her experience where something similar happend to her. This than makes her more capable of thinking and relating to her accurately because she have experienced it.

That said, who do you than think is able to identify and think inside logic the best? The one who uses logic to see the world all the time and is identified with being a logical person or the person who don't use logic to understand the world?

The " problem" is in other words that you can't relate to logic as well as other people can ecuase you can't " put yourself in logics shoes" aswell as someone who uses logics way of thinking to operate the world ( the structure of logic)

So to the question:

How can I rekindle my interests in the right brain?

By thinking more logically and therefor learning to identify more with logic.

My strategy to become more right brain oriented is to let my drive to understand the world to push me towards trying to understand math and logic ( becuase that's a part of the world).

When I'm studying math, I am in other words not settleing on trying to solve something. I am aiming towards understanding, identifying and thinking inside logic. For this shift to occur, it of course goes without saying that consistency and the right intensity is key to be able to become more right brained.

Hope that helpes (:

@tatsumaru

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

7 hours ago, Bodhitree said:

That is a problem with the person, not the goal setting.

I will respect the OP's requests even though I don't agree with the assessment.